Alonzo Holt has Travis Garland tracks under his own name - error or theft?

Alonzo Holt has Travis Garland tracks under his own name - error or theft?

nathancheers
Casual Listener

Spotify just suggested that because I like the artist Travis Garland that I may like Alonzo Holt. So I went to check him out and half of his songs aren't even his. A majority of them are Travis Garland's covers of him singing that he had posted on his Youtube. Is this just an error or is Alonzo jacking Travis' tracks?

5 Replies

Re: Alonzo Holt has Travis Garland tracks under his own name - error or theft?

blake
Community Legend

It's perfectly legal to record and distribute covers: in fact, the original songwriter gets part of the royalties! No need to worry :)

Highlighted

nathancheers
Casual Listener

Even without the other artist's consent? I looked into it more and all of the songs on there are actually over people's covers. Travis' songs are available for free on his website so I feel like he is getting ripped off by this guy.

nathancheers
Casual Listener

He also has one of Travis' actual songs off his offcial album that you have to buy....there's nothing legal about that.

Peter__
Community Legend

It is up to the copyright holder to report content that they believe is their's. Spotify do have a clearly stated policy when it comes to copyright infrindgement cases:

https://www.spotify.com/legal/copyright-policy/

I would suggest getting in touch with the artist if possible and letting them know, so they can make a complaint if they wish.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

blake
Community Legend

In the US, copyright law includes what's called a compulsory license, which means you don't need permission to record covers of other songwriter's works, but you do have to pay them a fixed percentage of revenue from each sale and stream. 

If you're concerned that Alonzo isn't paying the proper percentage of his revenue to the songwriters, you should contact Travis Garland's management: they should have received a notice that he will be employing a compulsory license. If they have not, it's at their discretion to contact Spotify and have the offending content removed, but there's nothing you and I can do about it, since we don't hold the copyright.

It's very thoughtful of you to want to help Travis' work, and I'm sure his management will appreciate it. :)

SUGGESTED POSTS