[Amon Tobin Intro] Two Fingers - "LED Moon Rhythm"!

[Amon Tobin Intro] Two Fingers - "LED Moon Rhythm"!

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey! :)

NEW TWO FINGERS SINGLE - "LED MOON RHYTHM"! 

LONG STORIES IS OUT. Click Here to listen to it!

Also, see this to read about and listen to Only Child Tyrant's "Time to Run".

As I see Amon is going to release a whole lot of music under his own name as well as some brand new projects, I decided to create a topic dedicated to his music. I'll introduce new releases as they drop (in Spotify).

Basic introduction:

Amon Tobin is a renowned electronic music artist and producer. His earlier releases were sample-based jazzy beats with outstanding drums, and in later albums he has gone into sound manipulation (Foley Room, Chaos Theory) as well as synthesizing sounds (ISAM and following). Click to read more:

Spoiler

He was born in Brazil, but his musical career began in England where he got initially signed up in Ninebar as Cujo and later with is own name in Ninja Tune. He now runs his own label called Nomark, that's where the new music will be released under.

He has also done movie scores (Taxidermia is most notable) and game soundtracks (Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory, inFAMOUS). The latter ones' on Spotify.

This is him:

armscrossed.jpgImage from his Soundcloud.

He has released 7 studio albums as Amon Tobin:

Spoiler

Bricolage (25 April 1997)
Permutation (31 May 1998)

Supermodified (1 May 2000)
Out From Out Where (10 Oct 2002)

Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory (17 Jan 2005)

Foley Room (25 Feb 2007)

ISAM (18 April 2011)

and Fear in a Handful of Dust (26th April)!

He released Adventures in Foam as Cujo in 1996.
He also has Two Fingers running in parallel which began as a collab with Doubleclick (Joe Chapman) and is now home to more club-friendly beats.

To begin off, Spotify has created a "This Is ___" playlist for Amon Tobin and it's a pretty nice mixture of his songs. The artist also has a full chronological discography playlist (oldest to newest):
spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DZ06evO1WZ17Z spotify:user:tricil:playlist:0yNiVxxg6RBO7ng2MyUZiX

I'll return soon with more stuff :)

Happy exploring!

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
15 Replies

Re: [Introduction] Amon Tobin's music

Rock Star 13
Rock Star 13

So cool @Sebasty always a pleasure reading you, and also waiting for the upcoming album a must listen this Friday definitely.

Cheers!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 13

[Intro][NEW ALBUM] Amon Tobin's music

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

NEW AMON TOBIN ALBUM IS OUT! 🥳:party_popper::party_popper::party_popper:

a2835627594_10

It's called "Fear in a Handful of Dust" and it contains 10 tracks, running for roughly 40 minutes.

Here it is:

spotify:album:4NgC9zznEu2PiENNZGGATl

Some facts:

Spoiler

* The album art is done by Andy Kehoe. Name of the artpiece is "Measure of Difference".

* Amon has loosen up the music making process a little by letting in happy accidents and other imperfections in contrast to ISAM in which he was obsessed with perfection.

* Listen to the album on mobile - each track has a video!

* The album is done fully analog.

* The album has 3 singles:

spotify:track:7ltD8Tp0wKA34z8ExG0YJI:small released in February

spotify:track:0h1uTViXuOkwtuoR3Ud3nd:small released in March

spotify:track:4TDLsoJGQfAqm5QsI1Xrt3:small released in April 1st and is accompanied by a music video (experiment by Christian Moeller) on how people often build a facade of happiness and false confidence.
Here is the link to the music video on Youtube.

Velvet Owl is so incredibly beautiful! /tears streaming/

Enjoy!

SebastyRock Star 16

Re: [Intro][NEW ALBUM] Amon Tobin's music

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

A post about one of his old releases - Foley Room.

a0782561227_16

This album marks Amon's departure of sample-based music, even though it does contain samples. It has 12 songs and runs about 50 minutes. Click to read more:

Spoiler

Made after Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory OST, Amon got inspired by the workflow of foley artists and decided to record various sounds by both going out in various locations as well as meeting and working together with various artists, such as Kronos Quartet and Sarah Pagé.

The CD release (well, I have that) also comes with a DVD documenting the process of recording different sounds and how it all came about.

The album is made mostly of this wealth of recorded material manipulated and carefully reconstructed, resulting in sound less jazzy than the previous releases, and more muscular, vivid and haunting. Powerful crushing beats, intricate structures of meticulously layered sounds, melodies as gentle as butterflies of mist.

One song off the album, Esther's has a splendid music video directed by Charles de Meyer. It's mildly unsettling and it's about a woman, a man who admires her and a little unusual device in his pocket.

Here's the album:

spotify:album:6o7OzvIJJMkhgB1QtEB1fj

Very small lovely fun fact:

Spoiler
At the end of the DVD there is an additional video - Amon Tobin on DJ'ing, a clip of him taking the piss with a smirk on the rather standardized manners and moves of DJ's.
"Is it harder for a DJ than for a plumber or someone?" - "Everything is harder for a DJ. You know, I'm in pain constantly, inside it's turmoil."

SebastyRock Star 16

Re: [Intro][NEW ALBUM] Amon Tobin's music

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

A post about another of his older releases: ISAM

a0259776106_10

ISAM's his 8th studio album released in spring 2011. The album contains 12 tracks, running for 50 minutes. Click to read more:

Spoiler

In this album he has taken on recording mundane objects and sounds such as creaky chairs and lightbulbs clinked together, which he then analysed and synthesized, creating new playable instruments.

This album is a rich and intricate listening, departure from Earth, and it also contains some powerful crushing beats. The vocals heard in the album are Amon's voice synthesized and modified to sound like a young woman (Wooden Toy) or an old lady with a bit of an American twang (Kitty Cat), or an aid to create atmosphere in the songs.

The album was brought live with a 3-dimensional stage set of cubes with projection mapping. Check out this video for what it looked like:

(god I hope this works)

And here is the album itself:

spotify:album:6JiPQzrQs9VTk0cRW9kyS2

Some little facts:

Spoiler

1. Album name stands for "Invented Sounds Applied to Music".

...Although I might call it "Interesting Sounds Amon Made", whilst swooning over Dropped from the Sky. :)
2. The album art is one of Tessa Farmer's sculptures. She created a sculpture for each of ISAM tracks which were then exhibited in London and NYC. Amon said she was doing similar things to what Amon was doing in his album - reordering things around him.

3. The live set was a solution to a problem rather than 'how to make the biggest spectacle.' ISAM was not suitable for neither DJing nor actual musicians, so Amon had to find a new way to bring it on stage.

4. His studio interview with Beatport revealed one of his tools - Haken Continuum fingerboard, a soft-surfaced continuous controller which allows for awesome ways to control sound.

5. Album was released in 3 physical formats - CD, vinyl and a book. The second two came with one bonus track too:

Vinyl: One Last Look (oops, not on Spotify, but click here to hear it - Amon's site and it does autoplay.)
Book: spotify:track:7jsMMqxy1tt0rH5FzYcZTQ:small

One of my most favourite albums, and the live visuals just straight blew my mind off on a scale I've never experienced before. Probably wouldn't have made it out alive if I actually went to see the thing live. :')

Enjoy!

SebastyRock Star 16

Re: [Intro][NEW TF SINGLE] Amon Tobin's music

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey :)

Small updates on Amon Tobin's musical front.

New sweet single by Two Fingers, Amon's project for beat-driven bass-heavy music!

spotify:track:0AlSyUm3aFnYoi3Amj3Gi8:small

A new Two Fingers album is coming soon, too. :)

New single for Only Child Tyrant, another Amon project, will be released soon. This one features electric guitar and awesome beats, you can hear a sample here.

The OCT album should be out in August, though not completely sure.

I also managed to grab one of the limited Fear In a Handful of Dust records from AT store. Turns out they got sold out in less than a day, just in a couple of hours. Unf...

Ending the post with this little reminder:

ATsays.PNG... "Play safe and protect those ears, kids!"

:)

SebastyRock Star 16

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Another update, short this time.

Amon Tobin announced a new project called Only Child Tyrant. Inspired by listening to his uncle's record collection of rock music and "stealing" his brother's 90's mixtapes, it's a project where all of that meets his beats.

The project has its first single out, called Monkey Box:

spotify:track:5rTS9zsVS4WDkQpppGVjj2:small

The project has an album coming up in July - "Time to Run".

Until next time :)

SebastyRock Star 16

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey again,

it's New Release post!

Amon Tobin released another new tune as Two Fingers:

spotify:track:0zQg5jL8HHMrN4ZBXSd6Lx:small

A quote from the man himself:

been making a series of new beats based on modern production tech against the rather unique acoustic percussion sounds you can get out of buchla. the sounds are so seductive it makes you want to leave space around them and focus on the swing

So here's hope there will be more of such immersive tunes coming!

SebastyRock Star 16

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey again!

This Friday is seeing the release of a Two Fingers x Ivy Lab collab named "Orange"!

spotify:track:2cZ2RGgOERGIk6r1OGnU8q:small

(it will become available as night falls in your region)

It's insane bass supreme. :')
Really happy to hear that (it's available on Youtube now), definitely looking forward to getting it tomorrow!

SebastyRock Star 16

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

New album from ONLY CHILD TYRANT is out!

Sometimes it's time to stand.
Sometimes it's time..

Time to run!

Hear it here:

spotify:album:3QyY5dG3aX4V97gBAdgCIC

Only Child Tyrant is the punked up kid brother of Two Fingers, dark psychedelic punk rock full of energy!

"I've often made my favourite things when I wasn't overthinking things. This record came about over a period of time between things I may well have been overthinking. It's fun to program drums that sound live and fake at the same time, to make synths sound like guitars and have guitars played by robots. My enjoyment of these processes became a complete sound with its own personality, one that needed its own name. I hope you'll like it as much or at least nearly as much as I did making it."

- Amon Tobin

Artwork on the album by Katherine Brannock.

The vocal guest Figueroa is another project of Amon and will see his own debut soon.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of it :)

SebastyRock Star 16
SUGGESTED POSTS