Behind the scenes of your fave artist!

Highlighted

Behind the scenes of your fave artist!

Jim
Spotify Legend

This past week we released the Spotify Landmark: Metallica series on mobile. A documentary series based around Metallica. From the early years to now!  

I love a good documentary, that's allowed to really dive deep into the archives. You get a very rare sneak peek into the minds of your favorite creators, whether that is the artists themselves, the road crew, the producers, the managers - there's a lot of cogs turning that you don't realize.

Recently, another of my favorite bands released a behind the scenes look at their most recent album. Periphery;

Feeling nostalgic, this brought back some fantastic memories of being in a studio and on tour with my band mates back in the day.

So, what’s your favorite music documentary? 

Throw some videos/links in the comments as it'd be cool to access them too.

9 Replies

Re: Behind the scenes of your fave artist!

user-removed
Not applicable

Bearfootrecords
Community Legend

I'm not 100% sure on the intention behind the video but a band called Scouts did some kind of documentary called "Scouts - Worst Band Ever", which is a very useful, realistic look at touring for up and coming bands. They make a mess of it mostly but the video is useful for that very reason. I think a lot of people look at touring with rose tinted glasses. It is not easy.

Check out the doc here

e-swizz
Casual Listener

I also thought that the Sonic Highways series was very well put together, and being a die-hard fan of the Foos and Dave Grohl, I appreciated the way the producers were able to capture the energy of the band. The whole Sonic Highways album was a very unique and ambitious project: the use of different studios was cool, but on a grander scale the incorporation of different musical genres with each song was something I don't think I've ever seen before-- at least not done as well. Listening to the album again after watching the documentary gave me a new appreciation for the songs and the individual influences were more evident. If you love the Foo Fighters as much as I do, give this documentary a watch-- you will not be disappointed.

Tzo
Gig Goer

Hello!

I really like "Control" which is a movie released in 2007. It's about the formation and success of Joy Division, and it focuses on Ian Curtis' life (Joy Division's frontman). It's not a documentary but it shows some real footage of Joy Division's tour and gigs.

P.S The actor who plays Ian Curtis role is absolutely perfect.

spiritofradio
Community Legend

Martin Scorsese produced a series of documentaries under the title "The Blues" a few years ago. I think there were 5 or 6 episodes created by different directors. My favourite episode was created by the director Wim Wenders and featured stories about the lives of Skip James and Blind Willie Johnson http://www.pbs.org/theblues/aboutfilms/aboutfilms.html

Jim
Spotify Legend

@user-removed

OF COURSE!! How could I forget The Foo's Sonic Highways :D

That doc kept me occupied on a good long flight. I loved the intent behind it as well, and that you got to see a little more about the creativity and meaning behind each track. It felt so satisfying to see each track come together at the end of each ep.

I'm a little bit of a Metal-head, and love some good rock docs, check out;

- Metallica - Some Kind of Monster (yeah the album gets some stick, but it's a great watch)

- Iron Maiden - Flight 666

- Bones Brigade (So, this a skateboarding documentary based around the skate team of the same name, featuring Tony Hawk as a kid - the scene is filled with some great bands and the soundtrack is incredible)

- Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn

Bearfootrecords
Community Legend

@Jim I've never seen the Lamb of God one, I didn't even know such a thing existed! You have made my day.

I watched the Bob Marley one recently (Marley) and that was pretty good, I think there's one about David Bowie on Netflix as well, which is supposed to be pretty good. 

Anybody watched the Nirvana/Kurt and Courtney ones on there?

Bearfootrecords
Community Legend

user-removed
Not applicable

This one is not so much a music documentary but a classic rock concert as well as a documentary of one of the last few live shows capturing of Hendrix before his death just a couple months after, from the Atlanta Pop festival July 4th, 1970 . There is both a live audio track release of the show on CD/digital/music streaming as Freedom: Atlanta Pop Festival (Live), as well as a DVD version of the show called Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church. The film includes some rather interesting interviews by artists of the time and who were around from the historic live set by Hendrix, just an incredible well done job bringing this long lost live film up to modern standards of filming tech. I was able to see this live film show from one of the premium cable channels I have access to, but some viewers might like to check out and get the DVD of it anyway, worth many viewings in my opinion. It is available in both Blu-Ray and standard DVD formats, saw this film on HDTV with a decent home theater stereo system, just amazing what this show must have been like from the audience experience. https://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Electric-Church/dp/B012UNH27I/ref=pd_bxgy_15_2/165-93...

Live audio release on Spotify of the same content:

SUGGESTED POSTS