Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Best Indie Songs 2016

Best Indie Songs 2016

2016 indie.jpg

Hey folks, it's time to start a new thread for all the best indie music discoveries you make in 2016.

If you're wondering how we define indie around here, the answer is however you define indie. 

"Indie" can mean:

• Bands that are on independent labels
  • Used to be on independent labels
  • Sound like bands that are on indepedendent labels 
  • The list goes on...
So we're asking you to submit your favorite Indie songs of 2016 by your own definition of indie. 

You can follow our playlist of all songs in this thread here:

spotify:user:spotifycommunity:playlist:4vifzE7GW5V6PCP9O8Lzu4 

Also we wanted to give a shout out to @TommyWesters own "Best New Indie 2016" playlist:

spotify:user:tommywesters:playlist:5KQj41VGI5CBnp2IAq7uDC

196 Replies

I used to listen to this band a lot with their second album What The Toll Tells, then I just completely forgot about them. 

Until this year. The band I'm talking about is Two Gallants and they released their new album this year called We Are Undone and the moment I came to the second song I was blown away, so here it is. Two Gallants with Incidental

https://open.spotify.com/track/68znpIS7WwVsWPKim2xcIp

Hello @user-removed

This new topic started by Meredith, as the title says, concerns the "Best Indie Songs 2016", then it would be better to post in it songs which will be out in 2016.

The Two Gallants album has been released on Spotify, for some countries in January 2015 and for some others, in February 2015. Then it can't be considered as a 2016 release but rather as a 2015 release. 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Wow, I totally misunderstood. I guess I need some sleep 😉

I'll come back here next year then hehe

Chairlift's single, Romeo was released last year in November. What's the rule on singles from albums that will come out in 2016?

Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

My Favorite Tracks of 2015

If I helped, mark my answer as solution to help other users solve similar issues, please don't forget to send kudos if you like any answers.

What is a Rock Star and how you can become one? Click here to find out!

This is actually from 2016. I didn't see a 2016 Indie Playlist yet.

Really stunned at the quality of the songwriting of Emmy the Great. RIYL baroque/folk-pop with strong female vocals.

spotify:track:4gh6bKHZitR5xtHtOodAkk

Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

If I helped, mark my answer as solution to help other users solve similar issues, please don't forget to send kudos if you like any answers.

@mangadreamery

Playlist "A Different January" is a 2016 indie playlist, with only new releases, which gather all kind of indie, as indie-rock, indie-pop, alternative hip-hop, indie-electro, indie-folk.... Emmy the great is a part of it 🙂

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/A-Different-January-2016-daily-new-releases/td-p/1265835

Most of the tracks included, especially the single ones, will be find, if not a few hours later, surely a few days later in many other playlists named "Best indie songs 2016"  🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the heads up @Soundofus. Indeed, your playlist is where I heard that new Emmy the Great song 🙂 I also really like that album by SEND MEDICINE from your DIFFERENT JANUARY playlist. This year is already off to a great start.

Savages have a new single out, following their great debut, Silence Yourself.

spotify:track:5B8LLpd6x408YcvxywiDdr

Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

I Am Chemistry by Yeasayer and Crying In Public by Chairlift, released this week.

The rest aren't on Spotify yet, sadly (Kanye, Kendrick).

@elena_badillo_g wrote:

I Am Chemistry by Yeasayer and Crying In Public by Chairlift, released this week.

The rest aren't on Spotify yet, sadly (Kanye, Kendrick).

Here's the Spotify Play Buttons for you @elena_badillo_g

spotify:track:33tAx11ZNa2yfepsxws0nw:small

spotify:track:2zcR26RF6guWyyP1wFwq0P:small

A beautiful new Shearwater single from the forthcoming, Jet Plane And Oxbow.

Steve Mason, from the infamous 'Beta Band continues his solid solo career with the riveting single, Planet Sizes. Albums drops February 26.

I like the cover art and the sound of the new material by Tindersticks. New album drops January 22.

Everybody's favorite Russian shoegazers Pinkshinyultrablast are back, following up 2015's wonderful Everything Else Matters with a new single. Album drops Feb. 26

Under the name Babyfather, Dean Blunt releases a new track on Hyperdub. Produced by Arca.

spotify:user:jmanderson84:playlist:6fAqQP7DWv2UCspehZwUgB

Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

Another year...another stunning playlist to create 😄

I've almost listened the new Daughter's album and I think that some tracks
have to be shared here as best indie songs.

One of them is New ways!

spotify:track:0rvBdwlFEwxu3CfnmfbcjO

spotify:track:6E5C5ajwu1xaQyXlCH6Gwd:small

If I helped you, likes please!
If I answered you, Accept as Solution!!
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check out my backstage interview

Some of the greatest indie songs to consider from 2016 so far is the new single from Woods, a couple of songs from the Hinds album, Sea Pinks "Yr Horoscope" and Nap Eyes "Roll it". What do you think? You find them on my indie playlist Sweet 2016, with a bunch of indie songs from my native Sweden.

Sweet 2016 – another indie year

Mystery Jets just released a new album a few days ago. I really like it, i'd say its worth a listen. My favourite song over all is probably 1985.

spotify:album:5gdWHfwu68jqPbxXxMDyL6

Woods is brilliant.

I definitely agree on Daughter's new music. Check out last my week's highlights (Daughter included): 

http://paisleyunderground.net/2016/01/18/songs-of-the-week-best-new-releases/

This song was uploaded today, and it sounds good.

spotify:album:2iCWn9PuLkkRddKrXNqm4y

Captura de pantalla 2016-01-23 a las 12.33.46.png

https://open.spotify.com/track/5gA0IwmC6cipU6wEqKdeMf Couldn't embed the new single, but this band is great. Unsigned country band from Bakersfield, CA!

Black Mountain are back with a suitably epic track. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/1bqReCdJf3GkbtduVVNY53

Suggested posts