Best music genre for dementia patients

Best music genre for dementia patients

signtodexa

Hello, everyone.

Lately, read an article on local senior living organization’s music program conducted by Montana Health Care Association. It's so good to see how well the power of music can bring emotional and physical closeness. It's obvious getting a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer’s  to engage with music and movies may depend on which  genre they enjoy the most.I would like to hear on what kind of music they are actually supposed to listen? What music should you play for your loved one?

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Best music genre for dementia patients

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

Hi, @signtodexa, welcome to the Community! This is such a great question — I hope my response can do it justice.

The last great memory I have with my grandmother, who died last year at age 94, was of taking her on a drive in a convertible and listening to a playlist of big-band swing from the '30s and '40s, when she would have been in her late teens and early 20s. She probably hadn't called me by my name in three years, and I'd long ago accepted that she probably didn't recognize me. But that day, with the top down and the wind blowing through her hair, that music made her come alive in a way that let me see the woman I remembered one last time.

From what I've read about music therapy for people with Alzheimer's and dementia, it's best when somebody can tell you music they loved. Failing that, look back to what was popular in the years they would have been in high school and college. That tends to be the time when memory associations with music are the strongest.

Also, an organization called Music & Memory does wonderful work in this area. It wouldn't surprise me if they were somehow involved in the article you read. They can give you all sorts of additional information and ideas.

SUGGESTED POSTS