Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Broaden my music taste?

Broaden my music taste?

Hi,

I love indie and alternative, but I want to start listening to more genres. The only thing I know I don't like are the kind of songs that you'll see in top 40 charts, but other than that I'm open to anything. Some recommendations would be great, thanks!

35 Replies

I accept this challenge! I am the music master. 🙌🏾
https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/

Is there any particular sound you're looking for? I could create you a sample playlist with some of my favorite songs. I'd make the playlist very diverse so you could point to a song and I direct you to artists with the same vibe.

Here are a few of my playlists

LIQUID - Kind of chill / downtempo electronic vibe

https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/playlist/1w0qU4eP7N4nuGJcYTF2QK

EVENING CHILL - Small mix of indie, acoustic and folk

https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/playlist/2b9NRSr47UrxgUpYSxitWI

LATE - mostly 90s alternative and new wave 

https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/playlist/3Bay6qK4ejrGi1ekiTmsHy

SYNTH - A small composition of newage synth songs. Haven't gotten a chance to add more synth

https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/playlist/6DXwZeJ7WS0vGLCL2vQUrv

JUKEBOX - I think the title speaks for itself. 🙂 - has a lot oldies mostly between the 40s and 80s - has a healthy mix of swing jazz, funk, classic rock, and many other classic jukebox style music.

https://open.spotify.com/user/theindiexmusic/playlist/2smr3fffxW8nQaXuixLP0w

image.png

♪ ♫ ♬ WITH LOVE, INDIE✘MUSIC ♥

I love the attitude! Always seen music that way ^_^

this one's folk-leaning - 

spotify:user:crematedman:playlist:6kRuOwzr6E09HDTHkib2NO

if you like that, I can share more! 

@indiexmusic 

Awesome, thank you!! I took a quick a look at your profile and aside from all your indie playlists (which I really liked and are full of my own favorites), Jukebox seemed interesting too. I'd love to hear some of your favorite songs:)

Hi try this genre ..
cabo verde
it is really chillin and nice

@crematedman

I love your playlist! Huge fan of Bon Iver and Alt-J, and I enjoyed seeing bands like Half Moon Run, Young the Giant, Fossil Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel etc in there too:)  Didn't know about José González and Iron & Wine before, thanks for introducing me!

You have great music taste! I followed you. Your playlists are 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾!  You have a lot of my favorite artists.

@crematedman

@issa

I'll definitely compil some of my favorites into a small playlist (If I can even decide on my favorites 😝). And **bleep** I can't believe you haven't heard of Iron & Wine. José González is great btw!

@issamargherita

Hello:

If you are into indie and alternative that lingers into the Rock/Hard Rock direction, I would suggest you check out some progressive rock bands they are usually experimental enough in song creation to keep your attention. Bands such as Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Haken, Symphony X, you could even dip down into the classic progressive rock bands if you wish to get familiar with the style of music like Yes, Rush, Kansas, Styx, Pink Floyd and even Asia. Pay close attention when at these artists pages when using the Spotify desktop app for the Related Artists section on those artist pages, this will show similar artists/bands, as well as new up and coming progressive rock bands/artists.

If you do not mind hard rock/metal music much, you can check out folk metal bands as well, although this music does skirt into the growly black metal music direction some. The Folk symphonic metal band I have really been enjoying is Equilibrium: spotify:artist:5KvkOKroKLz202ioXfGWR2 they blend German Folk music elements with symphonic music structures and a black/power metal driving music edge, the band also sings almost entirely in German as well. Another good Folk metal band is Týr: spotify:artist:6TmGNPW2oDM5uaXBILozGa basically the same way, but more folk and metal music focused aimed towards Norse/Viking folk overtones. Again pay attention to the Related Artists section when at these artist pages as you will come across bands like Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Heidevolk, and Finntroll, so on and so forth.

I think I offered enough to get you interested and on your way to discovering something new for you?

@issam really glad to hear that! I made it originally as an introduction to folk music for a friend - and then people started following it, so I kept curating it with new releases ^_^

This one is in a similar vein if you enjoy the last. I deliberately avoid crossover artists where I can (and there are certainly no crossover tracks), so it's definitely a different listening experience! 

spotify:user:crematedman:playlist:6CNffJtSo35wQ90E9wXTJq

@indiexmusic To you as well! thankyou ❤️

followed you and a bunch of your playlists!

You're welcome to browse my playlists as well: mcl-asd

Though most of them have non-appealing titles like uk-01-m (male singers from the uk, list nr 1), lots of them contain some real gems.

I 'll explore everybody else's lists. Thanks all for contributing ;-)))) 

maybe this is something! I've made a Burning Man inspired playlist on Spotify. Follow and hopefully, you can find some awesome tunes Enjoy! 

BurningManMusic

Hey Issa

Lets see if I can lenghten your musical horizon 😉

First I need to say that I love indie myself so I'm going to take a close look at your page  and see what you got in a little while.

Ok lets start with synth/electro:

Villas might interest you?!

spotify:track:16VopLLPFXyPQIdb0sR8Ku

EDM, Electronic Dance Music:

I personally love this beat by Krewella.

spotify:track:7AeYomUuCNb965CWyfLTjK

Feel good Rap/hiphop:

you heard of Seth Sentry?

spotify:track:4ipLV4JnYWihKOW8MPoF5K

Jump up, jump up and get down Party mode-Rap

A-Lee delivers with this smash hit!

spotify:track:7JwDN2HdBNTltpNGN5g0ba

And finally a song from Panda da panda, Swedish Pop music.

A catchy party tune but i dunno if you understand 😉

spotify:track:0P92PRlGOeoiuo3fyMnIAI

Have a great day!

//Peter

@indiexmusic

I KNOW I'm so ashamed hahaha, and thank you!! Really looking forward to it!

@JayLB Thank you so much for all the suggestions! Helped me out a lot, I'll definitely check out all of them!

@Mclashlan1979

Panda da panda is amazing!! I really liked Krewella and VILLAS too, thank you so much! Definitely something different than what I'm used to:)

@mcl020

fellow dutchie?? your uk-01-m etc playlists are great, discovered that I also really like some stuff from your BLOEDMOOI! playlist too! Thanks!

If you want to find new music, try in another language such as in greek or italian, you will discover a lot of nice songs. Try a band called "Detergente líquido" they are a spanish pop band with a female vocalist, very nice songs.

Aaand, if you like piano, try my music. ♪

------------------------------------------------------Follow me

Jorge Segovia on facebook

Yep, I am Dutch too & thanks to Spotify finding out that at times our country is releasing some nice music. I liked your question and the replies it generated. Groetjes 😉

Suggested posts