Buy your way onto Spotify

Highlighted

Buy your way onto Spotify

Music Fan

So i recently noticed an Ad on Facebook for allowing people to buy their way onto Spotify through a company i assume has setup a record label on Spotify. Doesn't this mean that Spotify is soon going to become a paid for soundcloud? As much as i like the unheard of artists, i'd much rather we didn't get amateur musicians enlisting. Am i the only one feeling this way?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Buy your way onto Spotify

Community Legend

Not knowing the process required to get onto Spotify, I doubt that this is much of an issue to be concerned about. There's already an application that searches for and plays music that not a single user has ever listened to (Forgotify), and I've never seen any kind of issues brought on by these tracks/artisits. 

Highlighted

Music Fan
I accept it isn't an issue right now, but its a possibility it will become one.
Highlighted

Roadie

As a musician myself, let me try to explain how getting music on Spotify works.

Simply put, musicians typically do not directly work with Spotify, but work with an agregate. An agregate, for a price, will work on distributing your music, either through making a whole bunch of Physical CDs or working with a company for digital distribution. The process is usually rather straight forward from my experience. It does mean that ameteurs get on Spotify (but it also means they will get on other streaming sites, itunes et cetera). However, for the most part they will stay in relative obscurity. The content library is so massive, that both excellent and subpar tracks go unnoticed.

~Soli Deo Gloria~
* If you see a single asterisk like before this sentence, it most likely denotes sarcasm.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Classical Musicians Unite!
SUGGESTED POSTS