Announcements

Childhood Classics Needed!

Highlighted

Childhood Classics Needed!

Roadie

It doesn't matter how old you are right now, we can all agree that the music we listened to when we were young was the best! I want to hear what gets you nostalgic, and what was the absolute best sounds from your childhood. 

I grew up on R&B and Hip Hop, which explains the majority of my playlist, but for the artists like Green Day and Avril Lavigne; I went through all kinds of phases.

Post your childhood songs, but also include why these songs are so memorable!

spotify:user:johnnygravesofficial:playlist:2D3NfrCXlgTXyUyDJ2OWpQ

10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Childhood Classics Needed!

Roadie

Actually, that is one thing we cannot agree on. The music I listened to when I was young was much more limited than what I listen to now. Sure, I did listen to some good music back then that still happens to be good, but I have no romantic or nostalgic attachment to the music I listened to back then just because it was from my youth. For example, I grew up during the 70's, I hated most of the popular music from the 70's, and I still hate it. Popular music got better in the 80's, and this decade has k-pop, which is some of the best popular music I have ever heard. Going back to my youth, my favorite album was Switched-On Bach, which is not on Spotify. I tried listening to other Moog albums, but they were chintzy, gimmicky fluff compared to what Walter Carlos had done. Aside from listening to classical music in general, I didn't discover any other really great albums until this soundtrack came out when I was ten:

spotify:album:5Pxlc9bhZjK7igCdffneyW

Highlighted

Music Fan

Yeah! We should get some Childhood Classics. I whould love it!

Highlighted

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Nice topic @johnnygr4ves! I'll share some of my most nostalgic songs with some short info about why I like them so much. My childhood was relatively recent (I'm in my late teens right now), but I hope you enjoy 🙂

spotify:track:2G5nzWdblGm29nO1r7WxCU:small

I'd qualify this as my first "favorite song," and it is probably what pushed me into electronic music for the first time, which by now I've backed off a bit from. But this genre was definitely one of my developmental favorites!

spotify:track:2nXWKf0GXbFby4posGqEht:small

Daughtry was one of the more popular artists on my favorite pop/rock radio station when I was in middle school, and I still remember turning on my radio on Saturday and hoping to hear him. Lots of good memories of my childhood are brought back with his distinct musical style.

spotify:track:5VGlqQANWDKJFl0MBG3sg2:small

A later favorite from the same radio station was Kings of Leon, which I am happy to see have continued releasing music recently!

spotify:track:6lUY6MoqGgPnA27PHYxem5:small

My last song has to be La Roux's Bulletproof since it is one of the earliest memories I have of a pop song that I liked for its unique style (something that I hold as very important in my current music). La Roux has also developed into one of my favorite artists over the years, so there's definitely no leaving her off this list!

JacobRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Roadie

I very much appreciate your different view on things! It definitely helps me broaden my spectrum. 

Cheers 🙂 

Highlighted

Community Legend

J5_cereal_box_ucp.jpg

I guess I was 6 when the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" was a hit — I may actually have had a copy of it that came on the back of a cereal box around that time. I loved it then because I thought it just sounded great, and I still do. Now, though, I can name some of the things that make it great — one of the greatest bass hooks of all time, a syncopated guitar rhythm that offsets it perfectly, and 10-year-old Michael Jackson's effervescent vocal. You don't have to be a kid the first time you hear this record to fall in love with it forever — but it helps!
spotify:track:0PGwM5vdr5fMejx0IIAYXj:small

Highlighted

Roadie

Cereal boxes back then sound like a dream. Are you kidding me? Free vinyls on a flippin cereal box? Classic. 

Highlighted

Community Legend

It was a great thing for a kid — get all hopped up on sugar and bounce around to The Jackson 5, The Archies, The Monkees. I wish I still had some of those records — they certainly were a gateway into record collecting for me.

Highlighted

Community Legend

One more story:

The first two records I ever bought were Alice Cooper's "School's Out" and David Cassidy's "Cherish." They came out a few months apart, so I've never been sure which came first.
spotify:track:5Z8EDau8uNcP1E8JvmfkZe:small spotify:track:5JXYP6vg4npNCJ8R0qs64l:small

I've been lucky enough to tell this to both Alice and David, and they both had the same response ... 

"Oh, yeah, I used to hang out with him a lot back then."

Childhood. Mind. BLOWN.

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

That is a good story, Cooper and Cassidy hanging out back in the days, I bet that was weird and wild.

I vaguely remember the free vinyl 45's offered on brand name cereal boxes, some had points on the cereal boxes you could collect if I am remembering right, and one could send in the points and just pay for postage and handling to get select vinyl album releases sent to one's home mailing address.

SUGGESTED POSTS