[Classical Genres] The Proms 2015

[Classical Genres] The Proms 2015

Jonahman10
Roadie

So who is excited for the Proms this year! It seems like, as always, they have a good variety of great music (not surprising for being a several month festival).

I am always excited to see Nielsen, seeing he's a composer who really connects with me (I am even nerdy enough to help write his wikipedia article). This is especially in my mind because  its the 150th anniversery of his birth this year. It looks like the events that contain are Prom 7, featuring his Clarinet Concerto,  Chamber Music 2, which features Wind Quintet music, Prom 46 with a good deal of music, Prom 54 with the flute concerto, Prom 64 features his Aladdin suite, and Prom 72 with the Violin Concerto (and Ives's 4th symphony which is also a very interesting pice).

Also it seems like there is a lot of music by more modern composers, and a lot of workshops and lectures geared to composers. As a composer, I greatly appreciate when they do things like that. There are quite a few premieres, and I think they may celebrating Boulez's 90th birth commemoration!

~Soli Deo Gloria~
* If you see a single asterisk like before this sentence, it most likely denotes sarcasm.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Classical Musicians Unite!
2 Replies

Re: [Classical Genres] The Proms 2015

emmanuelbauza
Roadie

Re: [Classical Genres] The Proms 2015

Jonahman10
Roadie

So the first Prom was excellent. This was the line up, so proud to see Carl Nielsen starting the world's biggest music festival. Happy 150th Nielsen! I have collected other recordings of these works (except for the world premiere) on a playlist.

NIELSEN: Maskarade Overture
GARY CARPENTER: Dadaville (world premiere)
MOZART: Piano Concerto No. 20
SIBELIUS: Belshazzar's Feast - suite
~Soli Deo Gloria~
* If you see a single asterisk like before this sentence, it most likely denotes sarcasm.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Classical Musicians Unite!
SUGGESTED POSTS