Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Coldplay - Ghost Stories not on Spotify

Coldplay - Ghost Stories not on Spotify

Ghost Stories was released in Germany (and other countries) today and it is not available on Spotify (just like Mylo Xyloto was at the beginning). Instead there is a announcement: "The artist or their representative have deceided not to release this album on Spotify. We are working on it and hope will change their mind soon."

The absence of new album releases is starting to become a huge problem for Spotify (Coldplay, Rihanna, Black Keys, Wolfmother, Beyonce to name just a few).

Can't you at least make a deal that gives your paying customers access to these albums?

20 Replies

i fully agree. Spotify customers expect a quick solution!

Yeah they did the same thing to John Mayer's last album "Paradise Valley". It was already past the launch date and the album was yet to be released on Spotify. Expect it to come out like a day or two late. 

In the case of The Black Keys they can't deal with change and realize how big streaming is right now, Coldplay's album will prob be avaliable in 2 or 3 months I reckon

I think there's definitely an effort being made by the artists/labels to at least withold high profile releases from Spotify for a few weeks, in hopes that it will result in more album sales, which makes more money for the artists than the royalties they get for their music streaming on Spotify. It makes great business sense, although the result is tough for Spotify users.

I would be interested in the economics of having certain albums available only to paying members of Spotify.  It seems to me that the revenue brought in by a subscriber is likely much greater than the revenue brought in by someone who is subjected to ads on Spotify, and so there would be an opportunity to offer a slightly higher royalty rate to artists for subscriber streams, which might get some of these holdout artists/labels onboard?

chevealvarado10 schrieb:

Yeah they did the same thing to John Mayer's last album "Paradise Valley". It was already past the launch date and the album was yet to be released on Spotify. Expect it to come out like a day or two late. 

Don't expect that. Unless a miracle happens and Coldplay suddenly change their mind, we won't get that album for a while.

Here's an article from The Guardian about the issue: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/19/spotify-coldplay-ghost-stories-black-keys-turn-blu...

It won't, I say that as a napster subscriber which is a subscription only service and they're not there either

I saw Paradise Valley on Spotify right away. I'm in the US, so it might have been different for me, but I listened to it before I bought it that day

I should also say that if their plan is to promote more sales of their album, it worked for me. To this point, the artists that have withheld from Spotify their latest albums has been somewhat annoying to me (Black Keys, Broken Bells, Eric Church), but I didn't like any of them enough to actually buy the album.  Coldplay is the first album for which I like the artist enough that I felt compelled to buy immediately upon seeing it wasn't on Spotify.

The larger point, though, is that the Black Keys may complain because the royalties they receive from Spotify is less than an album sale on Itunes, but they have to ask what % of those people that listen on Spotify would actually buy the album on Itunes if it weren't available streaming. I would listen to the new Black Keys album at least a couple times on Spotify, which is more money they would make from me with those streaming royalties than the zero they will make from me not buying the album.

Word, my man. I use Spotify as my main app for listening to music. I'm not gonna buy Ghost Stories, but i'll stream it if they want to put it on spotify

The Black Keys' LAST album El Camino still isn't on Spotify, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Turn Blue... as for Coldplay, it seems like they are withholding the album for a few months to make more money off album sales.

darn thats **bleep**ed up. Long live torrents and usenet.

Still suprised to see how record labels and bands cling to the old  ways. I will not buy the album(or any album) since it's an outdated business model and it  will fragment my music collection having to download it as mp3. Paid for spotify since launch and it's the best way to consume music. 

Big commercial bands and record labels can keep on trying to keep consumers in the old patterns to make more money, while some consumers will just torrent the album if they want it badly enough and can't wait for it to reach spotify. 

Paying customers should have the benifits, I love using Spotify have saved so much money I just hope they can make a better deal with the artist so we can have the albums day of release.

As a huge Coldplay fan I'm really disappointed! Especially discovering that the album is available on Wimp!

I will give Spotify another week and if nothing happens I'll be an ex-customer.

Jakob

It's not spotify's fault, it's coldplay nothing spotify or any other streaming site can do about it until coldplay say otherwise,

And what an earth is wimp

Makes absolute sense on the Spotify side of things. But if the Label/Artist still doesn't want to have it on Spotify, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Well look at music like how movie releases are done now thanks to the digital age what happens? A movie gets released for theaters first unless it is something sponsored through Netflix only. Then viewers go through what 4 or 5 months of the film in theaters first, and then there are dvds released for rental outlets. Then the dvds come out to be sold to the general public and retail outlets, and sometimes also online digital sources like again Netflix, amazon, iTunes will get the digital version for legal website sources. What does it usually take about six months or more when a movie at the theaters becomes available for streaming almost ontop of dvd sales to the public, being that those are pay to stream services which charge a fee per release viewed. I think music is going through the same transition it is just going to take a little longer for new releases because of various issues, artists, labels, band managers, and retail outlets.

I figure music will go this route, an artists releases music first on cd for public sale for the retail outlets to get some revenue and business from the releases, legal digital music services like amazon, iTunes, spotify, and goodle play will get the releases the day it is available to retail outlets, but that could eventuallty change where those sources could be delayed for some time if big retail chains get their way Target, Walmart and such. Those retail giants have mountains of money and also very powerful political special interest groups working for their interest first, not for the benefit of the power music listener on spotify. There is already some push in the U.S. that companies like Amazon are gaining an unfair advantage in the market place by offering both hard copy releases of movies and music as well as digital downloads at the same time retail chains get the hard copy releases only. Streaming service like spotify, goodle play, and even rdio could eventually see some time delays of music available to the streaming side of their services. Even the digital downloads like amazon, iTunes, and goodle play which offers at the same time much faster revenue for artists and labels could get some delays eventually, like what happens when dvds first come out so rental chain businesses get some revenue, but those are fast going out of business anyway like blockbuster video in the States. The reason now that customers of digital movies are seeing that digital streaming services is offering movie releases almost at the same moment that dvds are released to the general public. It will all come down on how the music revenue is spread out. If the money is offered where it is done fairly and the labels then the artists get a fair compensation for their work things will go smooth if not then where the most revenue comes from is where the releases will be seen first and so on and so forth. Services that just stream music could be the last in line to get some new music so that retail chains, legal digital download services, and customers who want a hard copy of the music on hand all the time are satisfied first.

To leave off with a cool music lyric line from an artist who gave so much to rock and roll. "Your The Last In Line" firgure it out yourselves.  >:-)

I think Movies and Music are two very different things, Movies are mainly made for the big screen.  Netflix has it's own tv shows like House Of Cards which is one of the big reasons it has so many customers.

If they did windowing with most albums on spotify etc, then spotify would lose a lot of customers and piracy would be a major problem again which musically wise it isn't at the moment.

IMO you just can't compare the two

Haha, I pirated the Album after release, a big mid-finger to them that left 2M+ fanbase with their D's out !

Suggested posts