Coldplay - Ghost Stories not on Spotify

33 people liked this

Coldplay - Ghost Stories not on Spotify

Matze
Roadie

Ghost Stories was released in Germany (and other countries) today and it is not available on Spotify (just like Mylo Xyloto was at the beginning). Instead there is a announcement: "The artist or their representative have deceided not to release this album on Spotify. We are working on it and hope will change their mind soon."

The absence of new album releases is starting to become a huge problem for Spotify (Coldplay, Rihanna, Black Keys, Wolfmother, Beyonce to name just a few).

Can't you at least make a deal that gives your paying customers access to these albums?

20 Replies
4 people liked this

Re: Coldplay - Ghost Stories not on Spotify

spotifywillems
i fully agree. Spotify customers expect a quick solution!

chevealvarado10

Yeah they did the same thing to John Mayer's last album "Paradise Valley". It was already past the launch date and the album was yet to be released on Spotify. Expect it to come out like a day or two late. 

1 person liked this

princessgleek
Roadie

In the case of The Black Keys they can't deal with change and realize how big streaming is right now, Coldplay's album will prob be avaliable in 2 or 3 months I reckon

7 people liked this

MOWJO8185
Regular

I think there's definitely an effort being made by the artists/labels to at least withold high profile releases from Spotify for a few weeks, in hopes that it will result in more album sales, which makes more money for the artists than the royalties they get for their music streaming on Spotify. It makes great business sense, although the result is tough for Spotify users.

I would be interested in the economics of having certain albums available only to paying members of Spotify.  It seems to me that the revenue brought in by a subscriber is likely much greater than the revenue brought in by someone who is subjected to ads on Spotify, and so there would be an opportunity to offer a slightly higher royalty rate to artists for subscriber streams, which might get some of these holdout artists/labels onboard?

2 people liked this

Matze
Roadie

chevealvarado10 schrieb:

Yeah they did the same thing to John Mayer's last album "Paradise Valley". It was already past the launch date and the album was yet to be released on Spotify. Expect it to come out like a day or two late. 

Don't expect that. Unless a miracle happens and Coldplay suddenly change their mind, we won't get that album for a while.

Here's an article from The Guardian about the issue: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/19/spotify-coldplay-ghost-stories-black-keys-turn-blu...

princessgleek
Roadie

It won't, I say that as a napster subscriber which is a subscription only service and they're not there either

Daniel_EJohnson
Regular

I saw Paradise Valley on Spotify right away. I'm in the US, so it might have been different for me, but I listened to it before I bought it that day

3 people liked this

MOWJO8185
Regular

I should also say that if their plan is to promote more sales of their album, it worked for me. To this point, the artists that have withheld from Spotify their latest albums has been somewhat annoying to me (Black Keys, Broken Bells, Eric Church), but I didn't like any of them enough to actually buy the album.  Coldplay is the first album for which I like the artist enough that I felt compelled to buy immediately upon seeing it wasn't on Spotify.

The larger point, though, is that the Black Keys may complain because the royalties they receive from Spotify is less than an album sale on Itunes, but they have to ask what % of those people that listen on Spotify would actually buy the album on Itunes if it weren't available streaming. I would listen to the new Black Keys album at least a couple times on Spotify, which is more money they would make from me with those streaming royalties than the zero they will make from me not buying the album.

1 person liked this

Daniel_EJohnson
Regular

Word, my man. I use Spotify as my main app for listening to music. I'm not gonna buy Ghost Stories, but i'll stream it if they want to put it on spotify

SUGGESTED POSTS