Crate Digging: music from the Middle East

Crate Digging: music from the Middle East

JonnyJ
Casual Listener

As a hip-hop artist I love to crate dig. I found many gems from countries like Afghanistan, Iran etc, that were recorded by ethnomusicologists in the '70's (often traditional music, but also some psychedelic music). As history showed us, there was always a point where regimes changed (war and revolutions) and parts of musical history were also gone (for example Taliban and destruction of Afghan musical archive). So my question is how can I upload this gems on Spotify?       

3 Replies

Re: Crate Digging: music from the Middle East

PilotAC
Community Legend

Hey @JonnyJ, welcome to the Community!

I'm afraid only the owner of the songs (or the respective artists' label) can make the song available on Spotify. If you have the songs on your PC however, you can add them to your Spotify library as local files!

Doing this is simple!

1. Head over to your settings page

settings page.jpg

2. Scroll down to the Local Files section and click on "ADD A SOURCE"

add a source.jpg

3. Select the folder where your songs are located

local files sidebar.jpg

And that's it! Now you can view those songs from the Local Files section of the left sidebar and add them to playlists etc.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions 🙂

Thanks!

JonnyJ
Casual Listener

@PilotAC

Thank you for your response. The problem is that 95% of the singers/musicians that were on those albums are now dead (and for example music of Afghanistan doesn't have copyrights like in the West). I've uploaded some of the songs on Youtube, but my purpose is to spread the music to others with high quality on Spotify. Is it possible to upload them as a compilation album on my own artist name ? 

kind regards

Highlighted

PilotAC
Community Legend

I'm afraid it's against the law to upload music on Spotify without owning the rights to the music since Spotify pays royalties to the artists. I would recommend posting your YouTube links on some music forums or on Reddit though if you want to spread the word about the music 🙂

Thanks!

SUGGESTED POSTS