Did M83 rip off Two Steps From Hell?

Did M83 rip off Two Steps From Hell?

MrSerendipity
Gig Goer

Okay, maybe "rip off" is a bit harsh and dramatic. I'm a huge fan of movie scores/epic soundtracks as I use them when I write. When catching the STID trailer the other day (Movie was awesome!), I enjoyed the incredible tunes of Two Steps From Hell. "Freedom Fighters" is probably their most popular song and has been featured on many film trailers. When hearing it again the other day, I immediately started wondering what other Sci-Fi film I remembered using it recently. After not coming up with anything, I gave up and moved on. The other day I listened to it again and started picturing scenes from 'Oblivion' but I knew that couldn't be right because M83 scored 'Oblivion'. However, when I listened to the 'Oblivion' soundtrack again, I noticed what I would call a glaring similarity in "Freedom Fighters" and 'Oblivion's title track, 'Oblivion'. I'm beginning to think that M83 may have drawn some inspiration from "Freedom Fighters" when doing their score. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, please do let me know. I'm not claiming they sound just alike. I just think there is a pretty glaring similarity. Let me know if I'm crazy or if you hear it too.

http://open.spotify.com/track/1gjUBLiGk3MdFksH3aRMax

http://open.spotify.com/track/1JJCx2knk588fMq1lRTHx5

If anybody would like to provide the embedded versions, I'd be grateful. I can't do it from this computer. 

5 Replies

Re: Did M83 rip off Two Steps From Hell?

Peter__
Community Legend

I can do that :) 

Having a listen now! Will edit in my thoughts ;) 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

MrSerendipity
Gig Goer

Many thanks Peter!

Peter__
Community Legend

I did listen to these earlier, queued them up again for later. They do sound pretty similar in parts! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Costas

Yes they did. It's Copy-Paste actually.

It may look just similar to parts for some, but a musucally trained ear knows that it is actually stolen note by note, chord by chord.

The variations are there just for the movie's needs.

Check out the movie's Credits track, and you will be shocked by their audacity..

The whole movie's soundtrack was based on Bergersen's Freedom Fighters.

What can anyone say..

BCSWowbagger

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I stumbled into this because I was listening to Steve Jablonsky's "Dinobot Charge" on Spotify and heard the same thing -- there's a more-than-passing resemblance to "Freedom Fighters".  I started looking to see if I was the only one who had heard it.  It seems like I am, but it also looks like Jablonsky isn't the only Two Steps From Hell fan in Holywood!  Link:

https://play.spotify.com/track/5KOzB5eLVVh7cWHTjwMx6w

Of course, there's another possibility besides "shocking coincidence" and "blatant theft": it may be that "Freedom Fighters" itself is based on some other song, which Jablonsky and M83 may have had a license to use.  There's some precedent for this: Two Steps From Hell's 2009 work, "Down with the Enterprise" is based on Brian Tyler's "War Begins" from Children of Dune, and, while it received proper licensing, Two Steps From Hell has rarely given it proper crediting.  So maybe "Freedom Fighters" is also based on some prior work, and that's what Jablonsky and M83 were calling back to.

SUGGESTED POSTS