[Discuss] "I follow people on Spotify because.."

Highlighted

Re: [Discuss] "I follow people on Spotify because.."

Music Fan

@Gidyin wrote:
Following artists and users is one of the greatest aspects of Spotify. I love getting updates on when my favourite bands/artists release new material and have discovered music on here that just wouldn't of happened without suggestions based on what I am already listening too. As for following users even if they are complete strangers all you are doing is confirming that you like what they are listening to or that they have put together an awesome playlist. I was introduced by my sister and was a complete sceptic at first but now it's how I listen to music. One of my passions in life is creating playlists and sharing them with friends and the greater spotify community. When you get a notification on your phone to say someone has just subscribed to your playlist it's a real buzz. It's like letting somebody see your music collection and them saying "hey dude, you've got great taste". Long live spotify and long live the art of playlisting!

You have a point about sharing your music collection, but to me even sharing playlists is Kardashian to say the least. To me, we all like what we like and that's it. Whether or not someone agrees is pointless. I can't stand the social aspect of any service so I am glad Spotify allows users to dictate what is shared and what is not all the way to completely private sessions. 

I don't use Spotify to "listen" to music, that's what vinyl records and CDs are for. To me Spotify is a research tool and that's about it. Sharing and being a social butterfly getting involved in all kinds of drama and allowing others to drag me into said drama only interferes with my work and I'll have no part of it.

The nice thing is that Spotify allows everyone to set their level of involvment. (Unlike Beats which is just another version of social media trying to tell people what to listen to with no customization of participation for users).

Highlighted

Community Legend
I completely understand your point of view and for certain things I make playlists private. For example my kids birthday party playlist is private because that's personal to my family. But by and large for me music has always been and always will be about sharing. From the days of taking cd's round to a friends house to listen to and discuss to making a mixtape for someone, I've always loved doing that. I now have a platform to do that on a larger scale as I can now connect with people from all over the globe and I do so on a daily basis. I don't really get your comment about being Kardashian because I don't have an agenda and don't make any money from what I'm doing. I would prefer to think of myself like John Peel, feel free to google him!

Highlighted

Community Legend

Hey SonicDr,

I would like to reply to some points in your post. 

"To me, we all like what we like and that's it". Ofcourse everyone got their own taste and you cant argue about it. But what i like about Spotify is that one can listen to other (shared) playlists and discover new sounds that i also like. I find it limited to say for example: i like the beatles and thats it, im not interested in other people's tastes. I'm not interested in discovering new/old music i have never heard before and which might influence my current taste. I find that opinion closed minded. But to each his own.

When i read your comment i must say you have a very outspoken opinion with no room for any different opinion. 

I agree with this: "To me Spotify is a research tool and that's about it.". But you know, some people are better at researching than others and thats why i find it interesting to hear what other people have to offer in terms of music taste.

Finally you said: "being a social butterfly getting involved in all kinds of drama and allowing others to drag me into said drama". I have never experienced this on Spotify. I had an ocassional chat two or three times in one year. Spotify isnt twitter or facebook. So i think you are exaggerating on this.

Thanks for reading, i hope it doesnt get you too involved in the Spotify community 😉

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

Highlighted

Music Fan

@Gidyin wrote:
I completely understand your point of view and for certain things I make playlists private. For example my kids birthday party playlist is private because that's personal to my family. But by and large for me music has always been and always will be about sharing. From the days of taking cd's round to a friends house to listen to and discuss to making a mixtape for someone, I've always loved doing that. I now have a platform to do that on a larger scale as I can now connect with people from all over the globe and I do so on a daily basis. I don't really get your comment about being Kardashian because I don't have an agenda and don't make any money from what I'm doing. I would prefer to think of myself like John Peel, feel free to google him!

I hear that. By Kardashian I mean drama with social media and such, not agendas or monetary gain. Like I said, it's to each their own.

Highlighted

Music Fan

@Jazzwhatever wrote:

Hey SonicDr,

I would like to reply to some points in your post. 

"To me, we all like what we like and that's it". Ofcourse everyone got their own taste and you cant argue about it. But what i like about Spotify is that one can listen to other (shared) playlists and discover new sounds that i also like. I find it limited to say for example: i like the beatles and thats it, im not interested in other people's tastes. I'm not interested in discovering new/old music i have never heard before and which might influence my current taste. I find that opinion closed minded. But to each his own.

When i read your comment i must say you have a very outspoken opinion with no room for any different opinion. 

I agree with this: "To me Spotify is a research tool and that's about it.". But you know, some people are better at researching than others and thats why i find it interesting to hear what other people have to offer in terms of music taste.

Finally you said: "being a social butterfly getting involved in all kinds of drama and allowing others to drag me into said drama". I have never experienced this on Spotify. I had an ocassional chat two or three times in one year. Spotify isnt twitter or facebook. So i think you are exaggerating on this.

Thanks for reading, i hope it doesnt get you too involved in the Spotify community 😉

I hear what your saying completely. I happen to be one of those who is good at researching (I used to be in the industry). Like I said much earlier, all I need is a library and a search field. 

My musical tastes are anything but limited. Sure there are a couple of generes I just don't resonate with, but that's the same for all of us. Other than that, my playlists would be huge.

There's nothing wrong with being interested in other folks play lists and the like for what you describe. It's a good reason. 

As for chats, drama and the like: When I see "community", forums, etc. I view it the same as social media places such as facebook, etc. That's why I was really turned off by Beats. They force you to tell them everything about yourself and your friends and then interfere with you at every turn with popups and switches and more questions all the time telling you how great they are at selecting music for you. If one is into that then great, but not for me thanks.

That's why I came to Spotify, because it allows users to customize their level of involvment and the like. Truely. something for everyone.

I only got in this thread to point that out and the point has been made.

Highlighted

Community Legend

SonicDr,

If you are good at researching i would like to see your playlists. There is a chance that i will follow you on Spotify with all the risks included. 🙂 

Just kidding but i am really interested in your music taste.

All the best!

Jazz

Highlighted

Music Fan

Hi Jazz.

Appealing for a helping hand! I have a playlist which i have created for a work compeition and i need followers to make sure mine gets to number 1! At the moment i have quite a few followers and i believe i can win so please help me and follow it too 🙂

Into the night

http://open.spotify.com/user/banks392/playlist/4hAeJJA5I3udu8IC2Q6JMe

Thankyou!!! xxxx

Highlighted

Community Legend

Hey tasha banks,

I have been browsing the forums and i noticed you have been spamming them with your mail about people following your playlist. I really don't know you, you might be a nice person, but these posts are getting kind of pathetic. And this topic is also not the right place for them. Agree, SonicDR; social drama!

Need help from a moderator to clean this spam.

Highlighted

Music Fan

Hi Jazz,  

I was actually  told by a Spotify employee to post my link in these forums (i wil quote 'perfect place to share your playlist') so appologies if you feel its spam but it isn't and i'm actually intoducing a lot of new people to spotify... Many thanks, Tasha 

Highlighted

Community Legend

SUGGESTED POSTS