Finding playlists for genre with no name...

Highlighted

Finding playlists for genre with no name...

Roadie

We release music under a couple of names, Secret Archives of the Vatican and Thousand Yard Prayer. Our problem is that we don't fit any named genre so it's really hard to find Playlists we might fit in. 

We mix dubstep, dub and drum'n'bass with Arabic, persian, Turkish and South Asian rhythms, tunings, instruments etc.  There are other established artists who we might work alongside eg Transglobal Underground, Loop Guru, CloZee, Desert Dwellers, The Spy From Cairo etc...

Any ideas about how we might expand our Spotify audience?

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Finding playlists for genre with no name...

Community Legend
Hey there!

You could probably fall under the category of world music?

Highlighted

Re: Finding playlists for genre with no name...

Roadie

Thank you for replying but...
No!  World music is a marketing tag that refers to a myriad indigenous styles of music from various parts of the world.  A fan of West African highlife music or Turkish medieval music or Tuvaan throat singing would have no idea what to expect when they saw one of our tracks tagged as "world music".  Is is a way too broad term that tells the listener nothing. If I see a label such as "reggae" or "funk" or "hard house" or "dubstep", I have  a fair idea of what I'm about to hear. "World music" tells me nothing. All music is from the world.

What we and similar artists need is a useful term that actually tells a prospective listener at least something about what they're about to hear.  

SUGGESTED POSTS