Frank Zappa

Highlighted

Re: Frank Zappa

Regular

Frank Zappa's complete catalog was on iTunes briefly a few years ago but pulled down. If you look on zappa.com they say that iTunes is "coming soon"
http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/ 

Highlighted

As of August 1st , Universal music has licensed 30 albums of Frank's music. They are all available on Wimp. Why not on Spotify?

Highlighted

Casual Listener

i second that last comment spotify pull your sleeves up and get it on there.

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Hello.

As stated before, we'd certainly love to have Frank Zappa's catalogue on the service. However, this may be a decision made by the artist's estate or the record label. This FAQ post may explain a little more. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Regular

David one of the universal reissues are on spotify, the album is waka/jawaka, the rest apeer on my mobile version but the songs are greyed out, maybe they are coming to Spotify, is there no way of finding out?

Highlighted

Regular

his own classical releases are not on there, the ones that are were cover albums not made by Zappa himself...

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Today, I'm proud to announce that a good deal of Frank Zappa's music is on Spotify. Check out our little 10 Odd Facts about Frank Zappa right here.

And of course, you can find the artist page right here

Initial comments may be that most of the albums are listed as 2012, and this is an artist you may want to experience in a chronological order. Our good friends at Ulysses' Classic have you covered, and they've created a playlist of albums released in order

Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Community Legend

But that's a workaround right? And doesn't fix the endemic problem that you have with Zappa and many, many other artists which is that the record labels, on the whole, provide crappy and incomplete meta-data and don't care enough about the artists they represent that they can be bothered to fix it. It's a real shame and not Spotify's fault, but just goes to show in how low esteem the record labels hold both the artists they represent, and their paying customers.

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

Thanks for the information and clearing up this matter.

I accidently searched Frank Zappa from Spotify this morning (as I was browsing Ulysses' great blog) and only found couple albums. I was disappointed then, since had heard about brand new remasters (and I recall Spotify used to have more FZ in the past)..

As with few couple new albums from other artists, it seems that not all the albums are available right away in all countries.

But its awesome to get them few days after still...is there some reason for this or is it always like that Nordic countries get some albums day or 2 after brits etc.

Well, my worries are over as there they are...the new remasters from Frank Zappa.

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

@SteveBrammer wrote:

But that's a workaround right? And doesn't fix the endemic problem that you have with Zappa and many, many other artists which is that the record labels, on the whole, provide crappy and incomplete meta-data and don't care enough about the artists they represent that they can be bothered to fix it. It's a real shame and not Spotify's fault, but just goes to show in how low esteem the record labels hold both the artists they represent, and their paying customers.

True, it's a little tedious when you want to actually see exactly what year something might have come out by shooting off over to a certain crowd sourced website of information. People have recommended a similar crowd sourced source of information, but that'd require a certain amount of curation I should think. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
SUGGESTED POSTS