Gord Downie of the tragically hip has died

Highlighted

Gord Downie of the tragically hip has died

coalminecanary
Roadie

it is a sad day here in canada, and for tragically hip fans everywhere. respected and talented and compassionate frontman Gord Downie has passed away after battling brain cancer. he had given a great farewell tour last year, and had recently released a solo project called secret path about an indigenious boy named Chanie Wenjack who had been sent to a government ran boarding school after being ripped away from his family, and was forced to abandon his indigenious teachings and culture. he had been abused and neglected. he had decided to run away and follow train tracks away from the school, in the freezing cold, with only a windbreaker on. he died out there in the cold, alone, away from home. the story of this child and so many others deeply affected Gord and he worked for reconcilliation. his efforts were appreciated by the indigenious community he befriended and had welcomed him into their tribe as a brother, which meant so much to him as you can see on the video of the event. 

his music often made political and social commentary about various topics important to him and to canadians, songs like Wheat Kings, or bobcaygeon. he will be greatly missed. one of the greats. 

do you like the hip? what is your favourite track? what will you remember most about Gord? 

fireworks

I had heard the tragically hip on the radio all the time pretty much ever since i came into this world. i also saw many of their videos on the music channels. they were always respected as talented writers and musicians. and they had a good aproachable rocky but not to heavy sound that appealed to a wide variety of people. a good jam band singing about important topics. i had become an official fan with the release of their album phantom power. i had the whole album ripped from the radio, on a blank cassette i listened to so much that the magnetic tape started losing its data from wear. i have always had a collection of their songs on my various computers, and now i follow them on spotify. i knew this day would be coming, he was a very sick man, but it doesn't diminish the sadness. some people have minds of fire and he was one of them. 

2 Replies

Re: Gord Downie of the tragically hip has died

Audiozobe
Roadie
Gordon Downie showed he was great up until then end. It's been a week and I still feel bummed out. We should all be sorry for this loss...

Re: Gord Downie of the tragically hip has died

coalminecanary
Roadie

i agree, he was a pretty great man. i am still saddened by it today too. so much dignity and grace and talent. the canadian music scene will never be the same. but he will continue to inspire people, and new musicians for a long long time. there will always be the stars in the sky, so at least theres that. 

SUGGESTED POSTS