HOW TO GET YOUR TRACK ON SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS

HOW TO GET YOUR TRACK ON SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS

stonerivermusic
Music Fan

I wanted to open up a thread as Spotify is one of the most important platforms to promote unknown artists. I have been trying everything I can and have figured out a few things that helped my artists get on some public playlists. My goal is to go through everything I tried and list what worked and what didn't. I would also like to hear everyones opinion on what else we can do. 

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?

- Paying people on Fiverr and other websites to "promote" your track. These people are using bots and if someone is telling you they'll get you 5000-10000 listens for $5-$10, they can but they will be using bots. I have seen in the spotify analytics that the listen's are always from unknown sources and they get delivered all within a very short period. You might see 5000 listeners and 5200 streams. This is not real promotions.

- Using websites like themicco.com /etc and emailing 200 curators on their lists. These are people that are being bombarded by a ton of emails everyday. Out of 200 emails we sent, about a quarter bounced back because let's face it. UK Spotify curator or Sony playlist content manager doesn't have time to go through a million tracks.

WHAT IS WORKING?

- Submitting to playlist websites such as Songpickr, Indiemono, Soundplate, Daily Playlists/etc. I would only submit to playlists that are relevant to your song and I would submit more than one track. Don't give up. If you can get on 1 playlist out of 8-10 submissions, I see that as success. It is time consuming as **bleep** but hey.... The Dream is free but the hustle is sold seperately. 

- Hounding my distributor for help to get on official playlists. This is one of the key things when picking a digital distributor. Yes you can go with Tunecore, CD Baby/etc but if you're with a major distributor. They help get your tracks on official Spotify playlists as well as some major label playlists. In my case, Fontana is my distributor and they are Universal's arm of distribution. Since they're making a percentage of my releases digitally, it's in their best interest to push tracks to official playlists.

- Now, this next task is a bit of a stalker strategy. I found some playlists searching through Spotify and websites that have search engines for playlists and made a list of 100 targeted independent curators that have 100-500 followers. I found  about %60 them on facebook from their profile names and direct messaged them politely to see if they'd consider adding a song or two to their playlists. I was very surprised to hear that these people have never been approached by a label or an artist and they were more than happy to add the track to their playlist because they genuinely liked the tracks.

-Submithub submissions. Submithub has quite a few playlists that are accepting submissions. I was able to get on a handful of playlists through submithub. It's mostly $1 topitch to a playlist and they provide feedback. Having said that most of the playlists are EDM, Commercial and Pop based. If you're trying to push a blues rock artist or a jazz artist, you're going to find it frusturating as there are only a handful of playlists. Having said that, submit hub is still growing and I'd like to one day see Spotify have their own opt-in submission system for users with playlists.

- Last but not least, I started using this forum and responding to people asking for track suggestions for their playlists. Having said that you don't want to be spamming the community board. Only submit tracks when someone is asking for it and/or you genuinely think the person is really going to dig your track. 

I am still learning and trying different things. I will keep updating this post as time goes by. I am hoping some of the community members share their success stories. Please let me know if there are any websites or tools that can help independent artists get on playlists and I will include them above.

I recently started promoting our latest release below. If you like, you can follow our progress. You can tell me what I'm doing wrong or lend a hand. I'm open to constructive criticism as well as suggestions. Thank you

https://open.spotify.com/album/6XAfApGZTDAol7E0TuSMhk?si=Qkvm1GjQSD6xDecHkA_TAw

7 Replies

Betreff: HOW TO GET YOUR TRACK ON SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS

Klangspot
Composer

Thanks for this post. That reflects also my experience.

Re: HOW TO GET YOUR TRACK ON SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS

juliettepiano
Regular

Thank you so much for this! This is so helpful!

justindon
Regular

This was so helpful thank you so much.  I swear your the first person to not just spit the same**bleep** out that leads us plebs to buying bot views.  You saved me is all I know.

Shake-a-Hoof
Roadie
Spot on with your assessment, I am coming at it from the opposite direction, trying to get good submissions and promote a playlist, currently working with musicto.com, have a look at what we are about it’s a little different from the rest of the sites out there.

Also looking at the issue for a Soul artist I know and as you’ve suggested there’s no easy fix, most artists I check out do have a one big fail and that is to not make the most of their Spotify profile, you should be doing everything possible to as interesting as you can for every artist in your label. Artist playlists, featured tracks, concert details, merch, a good interesting bio, social links etc.

My list on musicto is ‘music to shake a hoof’ essentially Soul, Rap & Dance music but from U.K perspective not EDM or TRAP, we upload track to playlist, share across social media, review track or write some kind of info on it, artist interviews. I personally save the featured artists music to other lists some with full discography also promote these, share other info on social accounts and don’t just post and then move try to build relationship with artists for mutual promotional benefits to song and playlist

I also curate various other lists, I have a Jazz one if you have something interesting, Lola to my profile from here and see if any lists suit the music you are releasing.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1159190053/playlist/37zpNUoq7PHuPbZpvrdpAX?si=Apf2k5omQFCUre59P_kHQg

RNMG
Casual Listener

NO soundplate is 100% a waste of time. I used that BS for a year and none of the curators actually even check the submissions. They just use soundplate to get followers and you won't be able to submt again because they'll never check the first submission, and even when they do they will try to charge u a ridiculous price for a playlist with thousands of followers but here's the catch, you wont get 1 single stream from the playlist. SOUNDPLATE IS INTERNET GARBAGE. And so is any "follow my playlist to submit a song".  I know this from REAL experience. I'm sure OP works for one of those companies

jacmicwag
Music Fan
Hey - thanks for the info. I finally cut an album after many years of writing/performing last year. Just getting started and learning how to use social media for promoting. We did run into something that worked fairly well on a youtube song last year. The tune "Dave's Beer" is a funny take on a guy whose mission is to save the world via craft brewing. Just for kicks, we posted the link on craft beer sites and ended up with tons of views and made a few playlists to boot. Here's the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWE_nZ0zOI

RNMG
Casual Listener

@Jamicwag NOW THATS REAL MARKETING lol

SUGGESTED POSTS