Hardcore Techno vs. Drum & Bass

Hardcore Techno vs. Drum & Bass

GOmonkeymanGO
Roadie

Hey Music Chat community!

So I was having a conversation regarding Electronic sub-genres with a friend of mine a couple days ago and the topics of Hardcore as well as Drum & Bass came up. He mentioned that he was quite into the Drum & Bass genre and I mentioned the Hardcore genre since they seem very similar sometimes . However, when he asked what the difference between the two was, I couldn't quite figure it out for myself.

So, whats the difference between Hardcore Techno and Drum & Bass? They generally sound quite different, but I just can't put my finger on the main differences.

Examples of Hardcore artists: Angerfist, t+pazolite, Darren Styles, Usao

Examples of Drum & Bass artists: Indivision, Mat Zo, Pendulum, Camo & Krooked

Thanks to anyone who gives their input!

7 Replies

Re: Hardcore Techno vs. Drum & Bass

crematedman
Community Legend

@GOmonkeymanGO Some hardcore comes very close, definitely! And hardcore artists can release drum and bass music too ^_^

Primarily it's the BPM. Drum and bass has always been 160–180. Hardcore varies hugely and can change tempo mid-track. Hardcore usually begins at 160 and can reach in excess of 200.

As far as instrumentation is concerned, DNB tends to be a lot cleaner and processed. Hardcore tends to have a rave edge to it, incorporate more variation and distortion in the synthesisers and the drop tends to be a lot harder.

crematedman
Community Legend

Good question by the way!

GOmonkeymanGO
Roadie

Thanks for your input @crematedman!

I hadn't thought about the changes in tempo, that makes total sense. I think what I'm noticing is the consistency in the tone of the bass with D&B, as well as the clean and processed sound that you mentioned. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

crematedman
Community Legend

nah worries 

definitely true!

LegPuppy
Roadie

Liquid Dnb all day long. Im not talking about dustbin lid dnb, thats too aggressive with no soul. Im talking female vocals, strings, layers, its full of emotion. One of all time fav tunes is in that list, London Electricitys 'Just One Second', its so beautifully uplifting

Heres some of my fav Dnb tunes.

spotify:user:bongoboots:playlist:5Zia7KSAocgetdkH8HmqSL

OpTicNickson
Music Fan

It depends on the definitions.

Drum and Bass comes from Brittain during the 90's. It consists largely of electronic drum and bass sounds.

Hardcore comes from the Netherlands during the 90's. It uses an intense kick effect and synthesized bass, often with a violent melody over the top.

Hardcore is around 150 bpm on average and can go up to about 220 bpm (as far as I can see).

Drum and bass starts around 160 bpm with a more confined top bpm of 180.

Hope this helps

Nickson 

Highlighted

LauraNarjes
Composer

Nice playlists. Here are some "psychedelic breaks" out of the box..

https://open.spotify.com/user/c2l2yzkdc7g2d57dpg6fuz63o/playlist/0Y7eSfZSUieBBbFYNLNP3f?si=xO3WVIBrS...

SUGGESTED POSTS