High quality streaming

High quality streaming

hcunha
Casual Listener

Hi,

I've just become a premium user and can't find any difference between high quality streaming and the previous one, even after toggled on the button.

I've read some posts about cache and stuff, but still not clear for me.

For instance I noticed higher quality on Soundcloud and Youtube than on Spotify.

I've also shut down the app on desktop and logged out a couple of times but remains the same.

Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks

10 Replies

Re: High quality streaming

user-removed
Not applicable

@hcunha

Hello.

How's the quality of the streaming for you now?

Usually, to be able to distinguish differences of quality, it would be good to use a pair of high quality earphones/headphones as it would help you to detect any subtle differences easily. 

CryticalAce
Community Legend

Hey @hcunha,

As @user-removed, generally the only way to hear the difference between the qualities is to have a high grade set of headphones, if you are just using a pair for gaming or phones, then the difference is likely to go unnoticed!

Best,

Jordan

hcunha
Casual Listener
Hi Anessa,

Thanks for your reply.

I use a AKG headphones and a Bluetooth speaker from House or Marley (the biggest one they have). I'm quite happy with both devices and think they have high quality. When I play songs on Ytube the quality is much higher than in Spotify. Not happy with Spotify's "high stream quality" feature coz don't see any difference.

Thanks anyway, regards

CryticalAce
Community Legend

That's a shame @hcunha, have you tried making sure you're updated to the latest version of the app?

Best,

Jordan 

user-removed
Not applicable

@hcunha

Hello again. 

I'm sorry to hear that. And so, this means it is not about the devices used to listen to the songs.

Next, may I know what are the types of songs that you used to test the streaming and download qualities? Some songs are made especially for listeners to feel the ambience or the delicate sounds while some songs are compressed. Maybe you can give this song a try. It's for checking out headphones.

spotify:track:2MYPFXScWdR3PQihBQxu7x

Or maybe this: spotify:track:4JwBDp0psRP2pbmNVjPc8E

And it would be good to try it with Spotify on mobile phone as there are a few options of qualities to be selected. Hope it works.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@hcunha

Have you tried reinstalling the app too? I know it's been months, but it's still worth asking...
I found someone that suggests to choose the High 320kbps after a clean reinstall.
When you download music for offline listening, does it sound the same?
Also try: disable "equal volume" and "enable hardware acceleration" in your Preferences/Settings.

And what Anessa said is true - many songs are compressed enough you don't really hear the difference whether you're using customer-rate headphones or entry-level studio headphones. (not talking about hifi-grade and professional studio headphones though).

I have AKG's too. Lovin the pair!

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You'd most likely need a good set of headphones to notice...

Slidehh
Roadie

You'd most likely need a good set of headphones to notice a difference between the premium music quality vs normal music quality. 

hcunha
Casual Listener
Hi,

Yes I’ve tried reinstalling the app, turning on and off “same volume level” and enabled hardware acceleration, many times. Still.. no difference.

For instance, on a competitor of yours, when premium, there’s a significant increase on the volume level. It’s noticeable from the moment you become premium. Spotify was expecting the same, but nothing.

I really think you should improve that, or many premium users as me, will feel kinda deceived. To be honest I didn’t become premium for the high quality streaming feature, but since it’s part of the package, would be nice to have it.

Saying that we have to used high-end products from highly reknown brands, of course it helps, but it won’t make a difference on the volume level. I even upgraded my headphones and Bluetooth speaker, as I’m fanatic for sound, but still no difference. Even tried headphones over 200€ and remains the same after turning on and off the feature.

If it’s noticeable that feature in other competitors, it should be on Spotify as well. Alternative would be to listen to music on youtube, for free, with much higher quality. Sorry for the honesty, but since you have been questioning everything I’ve already tried before reaching you out, I decided to inform you properly.

dimyl452
Regular

hi hcunha, 

if you go to Settings then to Show Advanced Settings you will find the Playback section. In that section there is an option that says "set the same volume level for all songs" , try switching that off and see if the sound is better.

I hope that helps :) 

Cheers!

Music is my Life! ;)
SUGGESTED POSTS