Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How Do You Discover Smaller Artists?

How Do You Discover Smaller Artists?

Hey! Something I've always struggled with (but always been excited to do) is discovering smaller artists that I can really enjoy. There are obviously many features on Spotify that make this easier, but what other ways do you find these less well-known artists? Where do you go/which forums do you visit to help you discover?

6 Replies

Hi @eltoch are you asking for the million dollar  question? LOL well you can see this thread with around 1K artist like you´re talking about Less Than 1,000 Followers

Where do I find them? Well sometime they reach me out, also I find them in my release radar or Instagram or Twitter and obviously here in the community.

Cheers!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, 

I'd love to hear some ideas too!

I honestly can't remember when was the last time I used other source to find new music other than Spotify. I really enjoy Discover Weekly, it recommends smaller artists as well, so I think it's great. And to find even more artists I like, I just open the "fans also like" page. I listen to those and do the same thing. 

Sometimes there's a YouTube recommendation or Instagram ad with a song that I enjoy, but it's actually more common that it will be something I don't really like that much.

So I mainly relay on Spotify, since the algorithm is great! Especially if you've been using it for a while. 

I often check the “Discovered On” playlists for artists that I like on Spotify, which sometimes have really good lesser-known artists of the same genre. Sometimes Spotify also presents lesser-known artists of the genres I listen to in the “Discover” section (“Top recommendations for you” or “Similar to ____ (artist that I already listen to)”).

Other than Spotify, I follow a few people on Last.fm with similar musical taste to myself, and I check their profiles often to see what bands they’re listening to (“scrobbling”); sometimes there are artists that I haven’t listened to myself, so I click on them to see if their genre tags sound interesting and then search for them on Spotify to listen if so. I think I’ve found a lot of bands through Last.fm that I wouldn’t otherwise have known about just using Spotify, and I also find it helpful to keep track of how much I’ve listened to each artist in my library.

I also occasionally check a blog/music review website called The Obelisk that specializes in “heavy” music: mostly stoner rock, heavy psych, etc. since I tend to enjoy these genres, and they often review lesser-known bands, which seems like good publicity for them. Another similar one is called MoreFuzz.net, which I also check on occasion.

AdamDamSpotify Star

Follow popular Facebook pages that do artist promotion. You'll notice some pages features artists that particularly align with your playlists. Hope this helps!

Friends and others with awesome music tastes. I have found a LOT of very little-known music through Amon Tobin's mixes and preferences, for example.
Now that I am also managing a "Promoday - curated by Amon Tobin fans" playlist (was asked to...), that's another load of interesting music, which mostly falls underground.

Being a part of some group of music lovers (for a specific artist or just otherwise) and asking for music suggestions with a lovely tone, set preferences and maybe a picture of something they love will give you massive amounts of cool suggestions.

I follow a few labels that release music I really love. They have playlists of music they love on Spotify (updated regularly!) and they do post cool things on social media.

Algorithm-based suggestions are also pretty neat (talking about Spotify and last.fm) and I do check them out now and then.

As with everything, they all tend to be a hit and miss, but I can't love everything I hear. :')

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts