How do you feel about todays music industry?

Highlighted

How do you feel about todays music industry?

driveoverdoubt
Music Fan

The title kinda says it but let me be a bit more detailed. How do you feel about where the music industry is right now? Its more of a digital age so most sales if not all are done online in some shape. It seems that playlist curators are the new program directors of this age. Do you feel labels are targeting playlist curators like they do radio programmers? If so are we being spoon fed our music still, or are we in more control now?

5 Replies

Re: How do you feel about todays music industry?

JordanOakley
Roadie
I think this is a really interesting and complicated discussion. Thanks for starting it :). Firstly I think it's good to remember that radio still exists on a community level to a national level, and is (if not only) also digital.
It's definitely important for labels to target playlist curators though. I saw a status from a friend two days ago about someone they recently signed being included on a Spotify playlist with 500,000 followers. Needless to say they were very excited.

In terms of control, I'd like to believe that we have more control now simply because of how much music is available to us. We can go and check SoundCloud to remember what song a certain DJ played last week, for example. But the question of what directs and creates taste on a sociological level is more complicated and interesting. All I can say regarding that is that the essay "Let's talk about love" by Carl Wilson does an amazing job investigating these underlying factors.

WillyBTZ
Roadie

its absolutely terrible!  the definition of LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR....

bands think they are bands because they have a facebook page...they haven't rehearsed...nor do they treat the stage like the sacred place it is...regardless of type of music!  I am so depressed about this...the money people took over years ago and it has gotten worse than ever...Lastly, I cannot believe there isn't more music that speaks about the troubled times we live in.  We have all bought escapism in the worst way.

anyways.. sorry to be a debbie downer...mabye this will brighten your day...

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

About the spoonfeeding music taste... I think it really depends on the individual.
I have last.fm and so do some of my friends, so I can... stalk their music tastes. ;-)
Some listen to pretty much everything (Spotify-curated playlists, whatever comes on Pandora, whatever comes from wherever), and others have narrowed their taste down to specific genres even (listening to own playlists). I also have a friend who listens to only 3 artists on a daily basis, and they are all subterranean.

It depends on how much exposure the individual has, or allows to have. I for example don't listen to curated playlists.

The best thing that's happened to music is probably the internet. Really great for musicians and also fans. The labels sending newsletters to anyone subscribing, so on. But also a curse in a sense. The accessibility to musical instruments and programs has increased as well so whoever gets an idea to make music can now do so, and use the internet to publish their works.

I am not fully updated in what's going on in the music industry in general, I'm more focused on the artists I love.

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Duhemsounds
Roadie

Hello :)

I thinks most people are working on styles that were very popular in the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's because now it's difficult to create something really new.
There are some trap/edm experimental tracks but I don't see big new styles awakening

For the business side there are always major artists doing national and world tours but the new thing since a few years is the emergence of a bunch of indie artists thanks to online distributors and online sellers / streaming platforms. 

Actually we are in a new step, streaming platforms like Spotify are growing big and are very popular, people are starting to buy less and stream more.
For some artists streaming incomes are becoming as high as selling incomes and the streaming part will probably soon become the most important one. 

For us artists it's easier to promote platforms like Spotify on our social medias because people can listen music even with the free version.
That's softer than 'buy my music on [store]', people are already bombed all the day long with 'buy this, buy that', they want something different and Spotify is that different thing that doesn't hurt them too much with the business side and that is good for us, artists. 

Spotify artist doing video games music covers.
55+ covers available on Spotify

coalminecanary
Roadie

i do think in todays world with services like spotify, the average music lover does have more control over what they listen to. when you have a service that tries to upload pretty much every band and song out there regardless of genre, regardless of country of origin and regardless of record label status, you do get way more choices for your listening pleasure. when you have services that allow direct artist uploading you get more choice as well. and i also appreciate having the ability of paying a low cost flat monthly fee to hear pretty much anything i want, anytime instead of having to buy individual albums at cost. if there is something you really really enjoy, and want to have a hard copy either on cd or vinyl you can do so. i like to collect vinyl, but being able to sample before purchasing is wonderful. plus records are heavy and who has room for 10,000 vinyls lol. 

i never really liked the traditional tv format on stations like much music, or mtv. their selection was very limited and usually reserved for boring manufactured bands on big record labels. the video jockeys never really understood certain members of the audience, and i cant go back to something that isnt on demand, these days. 

on the whole i think that there are alot of great record producers out there, who know a good musician and writer when they see/hear one. i think there are so many talented musicians out there, and its wonderful they can use the internet to gain fans. i do think there is a more commercially driven side of music making. one that focuses on selling albums and making money more than trying to sing about something important, or learning the craft of playing instruments well. but this side has always exsisted. it is easy to identify these manufactured poster children, they have a glaring lack of musical talent, and do not write their own songs often, and pretty much just do a few dance moves on stage and hope it manipulates 12 year olds into buying their album. these kinds of artists rarely last once their target audience begins to grow older and expand their tastes. they were around in every decade, in every musical style. 

sometimes a band that was put together by a record label can actually move beyond that start, and become something worthy of success. like U2 for example. totally manufactured they did not know eachother, weren't very proficient, but worked hard at learning the instruments and learning how to sing and write and now they are one of the biggest bands out there. people are generally good at recognizing real ability, especially if they are older than 16 or so. 

junky commercial soon to be has beens will always be around, to make a quick buck, but thankfully with the internet, you do not have to pay attention to them. 

i do think the cost of buying albums, both on services like itunes, and actual hard copies like cd or vinyl are quite expensive. especially vinyl. i understand that record companies need revenue to support their bands, and that the bands deserve payment too, and that there is of course a cost to actually printing vinyl that needs to be recovered so i generally accept the pricing as just a fact of life. though it does stop me from buying as many as i might want. my biggest complaint with the industry as a whole is their neglect of small towns, when it comes to touring. i live in a small northern community, and i know its a bit of a far destination for most people, and we do not really have a proper venue for larger acts but we miss out on so many good live acts because it is too far to travel to toronto or whatever to see them. 

SUGGESTED POSTS