How likely is getting into editorial playlists?

Highlighted

How likely is getting into editorial playlists?

Lu-Hao
Casual Listener

Hey good day dear musicians and music lovers alike!

So as most people probably know by now, you can upload your tracks to Spotify's curators directly. 
But how likely is getting a feature on any of the playlists? I have the impression that 99% of the songs are gettting burried under all the submissions.

Could anyone elaborate on the process?

https://open.spotify.com/artist/3qxEI26HWIax8LD30fteG0?si=CwCXtI1CTuSbkP_iiorj6g

6 Replies

Re: How likely is getting into editorial playlists?

Rock Star 6
Rock Star 6

Hey @Lu-Hao ! :)
Great question! Spotify has addressed this specifically over at the Spotify For Artists page - which I have copied below. I hope you find it helpful! Have an awesome day and best of luck with your musical future! :D

With Spotify for Artists, you can submit one song from any scheduled release for our team to discover and consider for editorial playlists. We’ll also include it on your followers’ Release Radar playlists.

Tip: If this is your first release and you don’t yet have access to Spotify for Artists, check out “How do I claim my artist profile before my first release?”.

1. Log in to Spotify for Artists on desktop.
  2. Use either of these ways to find and submit unreleased music:
    • At the top of the Home tab, select SUBMIT A SONG next to the release you want to submit.
    • In the Music tab, under UPCOMING, select SUBMIT A SONG next to the release you want to submit.Note: The option to submit a song only displays if you have unreleased music.
  3. Choose a song and fill out as much info about the song as possible. The more info we get, the better chance it has!

Some things to keep in mind:

The earlier you submit your music, the better. We recommend at least 7 days before its release date. (This is also required to have your submission included on Release Radar). You can work with your distributor to make sure it’s delivered to us ahead of this time.

• Submitting a song doesn’t guarantee a place on an editorial playlist, but does give it the best chance.
  • It’s only possible to submit one song per artist profile at a time (even if you have more than one scheduled release).
  • If a release has both an explicit and clean version, both versions are submitted to our editors. If it's selected, they choose the most appropriate version for a playlist.
  • You need to be listed as the main artist on the release to submit. The option is not available for featured artists or compilations.
  • Our editors reserve the right to creative control for their selections. This means they may choose to feature a different song from the release on their playlist.
  • It’s not possible to remove yourself from a playlist if your track is chosen for it. There’s no set amount of time it will stay on the playlist - it depends how well it resonates with listeners.
  • Anyone else with access to your profile on Spotify for Artists (e.g. managers), or the release on Spotify Analytics (e.g. label reps), can see and edit the submission. Any changes are displayed for all members.
  • It’s totally free to use, and it’s not possible to pay to increase your chances, nor can any external parties influence our editors.
Bethany_DawnRock Star 6
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

BillySaffyre
Music Fan

@Lu-Hao You're thinking sounds very rational -the volume is high, so only a few will be selected, but the best you can do is cover your bases and submit the jams. If  it doesn't get selected, keep creating excellent music -and submit again! :-)

Lu-Hao
Casual Listener

Thanks, I already knew how to submit but I wondered how rare it is that a submission actually gets picked up ;)

Lu-Hao
Casual Listener

I'll always keep creating!!

CzechFencer
Composer

According to this article, it's even worse than you ever expected.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/nearly-40000-tracks-are-now-being-added-to-spotify-every-sing...

Keep composing and never give up your dreams. :-)

Filip

Spotywakeup
Composer

My idea is to submit music to less overloaded curators.

Certainly it will not lead to an immediate qualitative leap but it is a first step to get out of the sea.

Having started editing playlists, I realized that there are so many worthy artists that should be discovered. I had a list of unofficial curators, if you want, I'll send it to you.

My question instead is, how much people try to listen something new. Of course, the official Spotify channels are very popular but it is simply the first and easiest solution that people choose.

Do you, as an artist, listen to emerging bands?

SUGGESTED POSTS