Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How much do you care about genres?

How much do you care about genres?

...when you're listening to music?

hey, I am bored again :')

Does the genre matter you a lot when you're selecting music to listen to, or are you more gravitating towards other things, ie how energetic the songs are?

Are your playlists sorted by genre, or are you using some other options instead (ie bpm or mood or a combination of these)?

How would you love your playlists to be sorted, that is currently not easily done in Spotify?

Also, what are you favourite genres of music, and what do you dislike, and why?

Cheers!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
7 Replies

Sometimes I use everynoise.com to look up which genres an artist fits in.

Sometimes I want to know all the genres of an playlist and use Organize Your Music for it.

One of the features I love about Last.fm are the genre tags that let you know what type of music a song, album, or artist is comprised of. My playlists, except for two, are each comprised of specific genres of music that I tend to scrobble from Spotify to Last.fm, which gives users a “Tag Timeline” with their top 5 genre tags graphed over the past month as part of the “Listening Reports” tab.

My top genres reported by Last.fm are pretty consistently “Stoner rock,” “Psychedelic rock,” “Psychedelic,” and “Space rock,” so I’ve made playlists called “stoner rock,” “psychedelic rock,” and “space rock,” with only rock music tagged with these specific genres. But I also have playlists that I enjoy listening to from less-scrobbled genres that I still enjoy, including “progressive rock,” “krautrock,” “heavy metal,” and “jazz.” Some songs are of course in multiple playlists of mine, since most songs on Last.fm are tagged with multiple genres. These playlists generally reflect my favorite genres of music, and genre is indeed something that I gravitate towards when selecting music to listen to (although sometimes the music I'm inclined to listen to first is whatever I added most recently to my all-genres playlist, to make sure that I enjoy it with repeated listens). Genres of music that I generally dislike include most pop music, most rap/hip hop, and most country music; I’m not sure why I dislike these genres – I just seem to have a hard time appreciating them.

I would love my playlists to be sorted by the Year that the album that each track is from was released. Also, I think it would be great if there was information on Spotify (like on Last.fm) about the genre(s) of each track, which could then be sorted alphabetically in playlists.

AdamDamSpotify Star

I mostly just sort my playlist by mood or situation.

I would love if it was possible to assign multiple tags (or even, *whispers* subtags) to playlists. For instance, imagine if you could assign a tag to a playlist for "instrumental only" or "with lyrics only", "festival X year 2000", "upbeat songs" or "calm songs", "music by artists from X location", "genre X"+"genre Y"+"genre Z", "music from game/movie", "specific situation music, i.e. showering", "unique quirk/style", "mix of culture X & Y", "inspired by or imitating era/decade", etc. etc. The list goes on.

My main beef is when a playlist fit within multiple "tags", so it'd be nice to be able to access a playlist which fit under both tags by typing in either tag.

Of course, it'd be way to expensive to implement a custom tag system, not to mention I'm pretty sure most users wouldn't want it/bother with it anyway.

I don't know what my favourite genres are, but I like "focus music", generally songs with strong female vocals, electro swing, some variants of chiptune music, some subgenres of indie pop, dream pop, rock & metal.

I build a big mp3 collection before spotify was founded. I miss the many sorting and organzing options on spotify. So I still have and use my old mp3 collection, because spotify is not able provide the option to add folders or add artists to a playlists. very bad!!!

@miko_cookovich 

You mean, folders into playlists?

Spotify does offer playlist folders though, and you can make as many of them as you feel like (but you need desktop client or the web player to make them): read this to learn more!

I also have a large local library. Foobar offers rather stunning filtering options, but I honestly don't really use any of them... :')

SebastySpotify Star

Honestly it doesn't matter what genre to me.  I focus more on the overall feel of the song, rather than the sounds, although I do tend to like music with some electronic elemtents to it.  As an artist I really love to blend genres, like for example, my latest track.  It combines many elements from other genres to make a simple sounding summer vibe.  

sry for my late reply. but i usually use my mp3 collection, not spotify. 😄

okay, i found this feature in playlists. but i would like to organize my bibliothek, to separate my comedy from my punk artists, to separate my folk artists from my hiphop artists, ....

currently the spotify bibliothek is one huge pot of albums. 

Suggested posts