I want to follow other classical music fans

I want to follow other classical music fans

andrewsmolich1
Casual Listener

Hey guys, 

I'm a fan of classical music and I want to follow other classical fans so that I can discover new music.  If you listen to a lot of classical, and would like to share what you listen to, please post a reply so that I can follow you.

17 Replies

Re: I want to follow other classical music fans

ianajack
Music Fan
Hi - I also listen to classical music, but it is quite difficult to find what you want on Spotify. Also, playing the music can be a bit of a challenge.
What are your favourites at the moment?

Ian

andrewsmolich1
Casual Listener
Really? I've been surprised at how large spotify's classical selection is. Lately I've been listening to a lot of beethoven's late quarters performed by the alban berg quartet and also a lot of Shostakovich, esp. his piano trio 2 and string quartets :). You?

ianajack
Music Fan
Well yes, there is a lot to choose from but there are also some significant gaps. I think it depends which record labels are represented.
For late Beethoven string quartets try the vegh quartet or the tallich quartet. The complete recordings of the vegh quartet are available on spotty fly but I could only find a few recordings by the tallich.
I was given a DVD of Pelleas et Melissande by Debussy for Christmas. It is absolutely captivating.
I do not know Shostakovich's piano trio but the string quartets are firm favourites of mine.

Betreff: I want to follow other classical music fans

hans-jürgen
Roadie

If you check Browse, then Genres and Moods, there is a section for classical music, too, with playlists and recommendations. My profile (click on my name in the signature) also has some related playlists, e.g. Conductors, Pipe Organ, Richard Wagner etc. which have been converted from my Last.fm tag radios most of the time.

ianajack
Music Fan
Thank you.
Yes I did find classical in the genres and moods section, but it is quite difficult to use and they seem to use the terms artist and composer interchangeably. For example, the "featured composer" James Rhodes is in fact a pianist. It makes it very difficult to narrow the search down - for example I can't find a way of seeing all the works by a particular composer performed by the same orchestra, conductor, chamber group or soloist. When you select a composer it just seems to list recordings in random order and it is very difficult to narrow down the search.
How do I find your playlists? I clicked on your name but I could not see them.

hans-jürgen
Roadie

Does it open in the web player or in the desktop client? Here is the direct link to my profile again: https://open.spotify.com/user/1139245365 If you click on "Public Playlists" on the top navigation bar in the desktop client, you should see all of them, then scroll down for the ones related to classical music, e.g. "Conductor New" or "Der Ring des Nibelungen". As they are converted from my Last.fm tag radios, they are simply collections of related albums most of the time which I had tagged on Last.fm, so playing them in shuffle mode makes more sense. Of course it is debatable if playing an opera cycle like the Ring in shuffle mode makes sense at all, but that's how I like it sometimes, because you get to listen to many different performances this way.

Your question about detailed searching for specific classical music is as old as there are classical music catalogues on any streaming site or elsewhere, I'm afraid. The cause for the problem is that labels use different methods to file their releases especially in this genre, and that you only have limited options to enter the available informations on internet catalogues. Example: who is the "artist" of this or that release, the composer or the performer(s)? This has been discussed to death for years and probably will continue in the future.

If I am searching for a release on Spotify, I try to use the most important search terms, e.g. Bayreuth and Wagner when I am searching for available albums recorded live at the famous Festspielhaus. I might add the conductor, too, if I already know which ones I am interested in.

ianajack
Music Fan
Thank you.
I am not sure whether it is a web player or desktop client. Does it make a difference?
However, I was able to find your public playlists. You have an impressive collection of Ring Cycles. Have you listened to them all?

gericet
Casual Listener

i love classic music, this i smy playlist 

hans-jürgen
Roadie

The web player only works in your browser and looks a bit different to the desktop software, also has less options e.g. for playlist handling.

I haven't heard all tracks from all saved Ring performances, as I mainly play my library in shuffle mode, but I probably have heard enough tracks from each of them to have an idea how they sound. My favorite performance is with Daniel Barenboim as the conductor from 1991:

https://open.spotify.com/album/48tlbrSWs89YQel2fI60zU

SUGGESTED POSTS