Is Hip-Hop dead?

Is Hip-Hop dead?

-KUR3-
Music Fan

I understand lately trap music has been taking over since 2014 but what about artist like 2pac, Bone Thugs, Nas and more. Is hip-hop actually dead to where genres like "alternative" or "trap" changed the way we see music and concider hip-hop to be in 2018? 

9 Replies

Re: Is Hip-Hop dead?

Nico
Community Legend

Hey @-KUR3-

Hip-Hop isn't dead, actually it's stronger than ever before (Just look at the charts).

But I know what you mean with the oldschool artists like 2Pac or Nas. There are still rappers out there who actually can rap or write their own songs. Just to name a few (Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bada$$, J. Cole or Denzel Curry).

The trap and newschool artists are just the ones who chart higher. ^^

Peace

-KUR3-
Music Fan

Thanks, appricaite it! Your right actually. Thinking of artist like J. Cole and Dizzy Wright!

Nico
Community Legend

@-KUR3-

Do you've got a Hip-Hop playlist?

Peace

crowdiegal
Roadie

Hip hop is very much alive but it's certainly changing and evolving like all genres of music,  you just have to look beyond the Billboard Hot 100 or whatever music charts to see the evidence, there's plenty of brilliant hip hop acts that I have seen mentioned like Uncommon Nasa, Open Mike Eagle etc that don't appear on the charts. 

-KUR3-
Music Fan

Thanks, ya I noticed that. It seems like the lyrical hip-hop erra artists aren't on top billboards or radio like once before. It seem I have to dig threw spotify, youtube, etc. to find that hip-hop genre. Another thing I notices is these so called hip-hop/rap artist (artist like Lil Uzi Vert/Lil Yatchy) there streaming numbers are around 50k to 100k first to second week when artist like Drake, J. Cole, Nipsy Hustle, ect. make around 500k first to second week but rappers like Nipsy aren't on the top billboards, at least top 10.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hip hop is not dead. We artist that make true hiphop music are just flying under the radar. We on our way back though. checkout my new release if you wanna hear some hiphop.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5jX70vGfkmoOkd6ges8dRX?nd=1

-KUR3-
Music Fan

Thanks, bring the light back into hip-hop!

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

The https://open.spotify.com/track/0oXIvlG6j5mCeViCB1E6Lv?si=kN175AnHRAaVq6mcwMskGA hasn't arrived yet :)

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

-KUR3-
Music Fan
SUGGESTED POSTS