Is Spotify better than Napster?

Highlighted

Is Spotify better than Napster?

ricknaegele
Regular

I have been using napster for years. Now they keep updating with **bleep** I don't like and don't want. Don't need giphy's, don't need wizards, don't need listening suggestions. Just want to download the music I want to hear. Can anyone tell me if Spotify is any better?

20 Replies

Re: Is Spotify better than Napster?

abilea
Roadie

Spotify is the supreme overlord within the music service realm.

In all seriousness, I prefer Spotify to Napster because:

1. It's a clean system- the design, the playlists, and the artists- all intertwined within one application allowing for ultimate success when listening to music.

2. Everything points to finding more and being able to listen more; under any of your playlists you can find a whole new section dedicated to finding similar songs and artists. If you click on any artist, you'll be able to see not only what they have released, but what playlists they've created, where they're from, artists who are like them, and what other projects they're involved in.

3. Artists use the app. Like I said before, you can see what playlists your favorite artists have created, meaning you can dive into their music tastes and discover even more music.

4. It's a social construct, too. You can follow, be followed, catch up on your friends' music, create collective playlists, discover new playlists, and even see what your friends are listening to in real time.

5. You can download songs and listen to them offline (pretty obvious why that's cool)

There is a lot more that I didn't cover, but there are a few points that explain why I suggest sticking with Spotify over Napster. Hope this ultimately helps with what you decide in the end! 

If this post solved your issue > Mark it as a solution

If you liked this post > Thumbs it up & add to the likes

ricknaegele
Regular
First songs I searched for (3), were not available. All are on napster. Staying with them.

fduniho
Roadie

Is Napster still around? I think I subscribed to Napster after emusic raised its prices, then Napster got bought out by Rhapsody, and I eventually switched from Rhapsody to Spotify. It looks like now Rhapsody has rebranded itself as Napster.  I have not used Rhapsody or Napster in recent years, but my experience with Spotify has been much better than my experience with either Napster or Rhapsody. With Spotify, I got better sound quality, more reliable playback (thanks to using its own app instead of a web app), a larger selection, and useful music discovery tools. My main gripe with Spotify is that it removed support for apps that run inside Spotify, which made Last.fm less useful to me. But it has compensated for this by making Spotify Discover much more useful than the Last.fm app was and by adding new discovery tools like the Daily Mix. The best thing about Napster was that it included MP3 downloads with its streaming subscription. Thanks to that, I got some albums that are no longer available for streaming. But I don't know if the new Napster is doing that. When Rhapsody took over Napster, it gave me credit toward MP3 downloads for my unused downloads from Napster, but I'm not sure if it continued to offer MP3 downloads for continuing my subscription. One advantage of Rhapsody over Spotify is that you could download tracks to an MP3 player that support DRM, such as the Sansa Clip Zip. But since I use my Clip Zip with Rockbox, which doesn't support DRM, that's not important to me.

ricknaegele
Regular
Napster has a much better selection of songs. Tried Spotify for three days. Cancelled it.

TheFatalLozenge
Casual Listener
Wow, life really has gotten in the way of things...

I didn't know master was even still around. Now I feel compelled to go check it out. I haven't been on Napster since about 2001 and the it all changed with Metallica and pay for content...

Sorry this doesn't answer the question. But it does intrigue me to know it's still out there and competing.

I'm just delving into Spotify. I've been relatively content to just set my old 240 gb iPod on random or pull up Pandora.

Have a kid now and want to provide some kind of proper music education so I'm delving back into what's out there these days in the music sharing world.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @TheFatalLozenge

As much as I have realized, Spotify has a very good selection of music. There are even entire albums of songs you won't find from Youtube!
But no platform is flawless, so there are songs that are not present on Spotify.
I've ended up using Spotify as the streaming platform, and Youtube + VK for what I can't find on Spotify. So.. instead of using one platform, I'm using three.

I'm not sure what kind of music selection is on the competing platforms, because I've never used them. I'm sure both Google and Apple have a very nice one...
Every service I've read about offers a free trial, so you can try them out. ; )

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ricknaegele
Regular
Not a problem. I find them all on napster. Enjoy your spotify.

coalminecanary
Roadie

i havent used napster since metallica freaked out and copyright laws were more enforced. in those days it was a free service, illegal, and problematic for record companies. i was a teenager i thought it was a great thing, not having to pay for music. being able to download pretty much anything. 

i used other such services for a while after napster too. however i stopped in about 2005 because i began to understand the harm it was doing to musicians and the record companies that need money to support them, to put on tours, to ensure the band has equipment, and studio space, and crews. a musician deserves a paycheck for their work too. i also did not want to continue breaking the law. whether or not i agreed with the law, i did not want to put myself in jepoardy by knowingly breaking it. there are other ways to get your government to change laws. however i no longer have an issue with copyright law. if i were a musician id appreciate the protection. if i owned intellectual property i would appreciate the protection. in this world we have to pay for the things we want, that is how the world works. maybe one day in the future, it will be like star trek and money wont exist but until such a time i appreciate a service like spotify, a legal, and totally affordable solution. so many songs, such a low price. i can live with this forever. also there are mean people out there who try and spread viruses for no reason on mp3 files and the likes. 

i am not familiar with napster these days but i understand it is a paid service too now? to me spotify would be a better choice, theyve must have always had a fair relationship with musicians and record labels since it was not an illegal service. cannot complain for 10 bucks a month. i spend more on coffee every month. 

there is a website service which was legal, that i miss alot. it went defunct a few years back now. it was called music.download.com and had direct artist uploaded content by mostly indie artists or smaller labels. it was a great resource. i had been missing alot of stuff from there for a long while but it seems pretty much all of it is now available on spotify so yay for that. i do not enjoy breaking the law just for the sake of saving a few dollars from people who have earned that few dollars. 

ricknaegele
Regular
First three songs I checked weren't on Spotify when I tried their free trial. Sticking with napster.
SUGGESTED POSTS