Is Spotify better than Napster?

Re: Is Spotify better than Napster?

annistynsmusic
Roadie

But it is just three songs. You know you can always message the record company that produces the songs you like/artists you like and ask if they can work with Spotify to release their music on this platform. In all honesty man, Spotify has been my go-to place. I've had two accounts on Spotify so far, from June 2016. May not sound that long, but it has been the best. Youtube works, but I would like to play off tab without paying for youtube red. Soundcloud works, but I don't want to pay for specific music. I only use Soundcloud/youtube if I want to listen to Willow Smith. 

Spotify has this mindset of introducing people to new music. That's partly why the community is around.. to share and find new music. There are also things like Daily Mix which takes songs you know and related songs and puts it into a playlist specifically for you based on the genres you listen to most. There's also Release Radar/Discover Weekly. Release Radar is a playlist specifically for you it claims, and suggests you releases from recommended artists or artists you enjoy. Discover Weekly suggests you songs you haven't heard by recommended or listened to artists and suggests you older and newer songs by them based on your music taste.

Spotify also has a good customer service. Spotify workers love to take in feedback and love to listen to what you have to say. Here, I always feel like I have a say. I have a voice and a purpose. Spotify community members and workers are so great and would love to help with your problem.

I would also think you should try the rest of the free trial to see if you like any music Spotify suggests you or to find more than three songs that you liked. You see, I'm a person who likes to stick to what I know. Theory of a Deadman, post-grunge, Seether, Shinedown etc. But thanks to Spotify, I was able to discover even more artists I like such as David Cook and Angels Fall. I no longer want to stick to just what I know. So, use the free trial as you can to find even better music like I have and will continue to do!!

I haven't personally used Napster but I think I'd stick to Spotify.

Duhemsounds
Roadie

Hello :)

I never heard about Napster but I can say Spotify is great

As an artist all my musics are distributed on Spotify, it's a very popular platform, more and more people uses it across the world. Interesting point : in the top listeners we find some emerging countries, it offers those people a great access to music and gives to us, artist, new people to reach worldwide.
People are buying less and streaming more :)

With thoses forums I can interact with other artists and music listeners, discover some interesting musics to listen and present my work.  

On social medias and global forums spotify is very popular and many people are creating tons of playlist where you can find all the music you love, everything that exists is spoted somewhere :)

Spotify artist doing video games music covers.
55+ covers available on Spotify

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Well, three songs not available...
There are artists that don't like streaming services at all (Tool is a notable one), there are artists that prefer to make only a portion of their albums available (to boost album sales, probably, or I found another case where an artist wasn't into their other alias anymore and took it off), there are regional restrictions and changes in licensing that make songs and albums in question (temporarily) unavailable...

Spotify would make everything available in every country it's distributed to, but it's simply not possible. :) One has to listen to what artists have to say, or labels.

If you want to have a song available at all times, then you'll have to buy it. :)
Streaming services are great (I love Spotify), but they are everchanging, and content is everchanging too.

And obviously some have more content than others which may have different kind of positive aspects. There is a streaming service for every person out there, who is interested in those platforms.One has huge library, one has very simple UI, one has 16-bit streaming, one has space for user-uploaded library, one is available in countries others don't cover... Integrations and all that stuff make sense to someone out there, and that's why we have so many streaming services out there. :)

And there are always physical media purists and people who are not comfortable with some aspects of the internet.

I hope you find your suburb...

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

michaeltee
Casual Listener

I currently have both. It does seem that Napster has a somewhat broader library than Spotify and (IMO) the audio quality (when "best" is selected) is a tad better in terms of dynamic range and definition. That said, their less than intuitive "beta-like" desktop player has a tendency to occasionally crash for no apparent reason. The Spotify player is far superior in build quality, functionality, and reliability. If I had to make a choice I'd probably pick Spotify even though both have their advantages. 

heartmusic_473
Music Fan

For sure. I personally even like it better than Pandora. You can select what music you like. I've never really had any problems. For me, the most annoying thing is the ads.

Highlighted

ricknaegele
Regular
Maybe depending on the music you listen too. I'll keep napster better.

djmindseye616
Casual Listener

@abilea

@abilea wrote:

Spotify is the supreme overlord within the music service realm.

In all seriousness, I prefer Spotify to Napster because:

1. It's a clean system- the design, the playlists, and the artists- all intertwined within one application allowing for ultimate success when listening to music.

2. Everything points to finding more and being able to listen more; under any of your playlists you can find a whole new section dedicated to finding similar songs and artists. If you click on any artist, you'll be able to see not only what they have released, but what playlists they've created, where they're from, artists who are like them, and what other projects they're involved in.

3. Artists use the app. Like I said before, you can see what playlists your favorite artists have created, meaning you can dive into their music tastes and discover even more music.

4. It's a social construct, too. You can follow, be followed, catch up on your friends' music, create collective playlists, discover new playlists, and even see what your friends are listening to in real time.

5. You can download songs and listen to them offline (pretty obvious why that's cool)

There is a lot more that I didn't cover, but there are a few points that explain why I suggest sticking with Spotify over Napster. Hope this ultimately helps with what you decide in the end! 

wrote:

Spotify is the supreme overlord within the music service realm.

In all seriousness, I prefer Spotify to Napster because:

1. It's a clean system- the design, the playlists, and the artists- all intertwined within one application allowing for ultimate success when listening to music.

2. Everything points to finding more and being able to listen more; under any of your playlists you can find a whole new section dedicated to finding similar songs and artists. If you click on any artist, you'll be able to see not only what they have released, but what playlists they've created, where they're from, artists who are like them, and what other projects they're involved in.

3. Artists use the app. Like I said before, you can see what playlists your favorite artists have created, meaning you can dive into their music tastes and discover even more music.

4. It's a social construct, too. You can follow, be followed, catch up on your friends' music, create collective playlists, discover new playlists, and even see what your friends are listening to in real time.

5. You can download songs and listen to them offline (pretty obvious why that's cool)

There is a lot more that I didn't cover, but there are a few points that explain why I suggest sticking with Spotify over Napster. Hope this ultimately helps with what you decide in the end! 

No and heres the issues: They change there user interface constantly which only takes away from what made Spotify usable. Even though their services dont do what they promise you it will such as sharing music they still charge you when it doesn't work by by telling you this,  and this is a direct statement sent to me in an email to me after paying for months of service that I was not able to use the services promised:

"Many thanks for keeping in touch.

We're afraid we're unable to provide any more Premium time on this. Premium is a paid tier and this is how we compensate artists, who are the lifeblood of Spotify. Therefore, we can't really give it freely. 

We have tested the issue at hand with several Android devices in the office and we're able to share without a problem. We hope you're able to share too. You can surely test this on the Free account you have. The Share feature is not for Premium users only.

If we can help with anything else, please let us  know.

All the very best, 

Marlon

"The only truth is music" - Jack Kerouac

Spotify Customer Support

I was asking for a few months of service for free sense I paid for them when it wasn't working and guess what it still dosent work. Stay with napster or go with youtube red, Spotify is a bunch of crooked crooks.

michaeltee
Casual Listener

For a period of time I had both services but decided to cancel Napster a few months ago. All things considered, Spotify has a far more reliable player, both from the standpoint of reliabiltiy and overall user experience. Both services offer an excellent library but it's a good bet that Spotify is here to stay. When Rhapsody rebadged themselves as Napster they were hoping the famous name would attract more paid subscribers but they haven't done anything innovative to earn them. Why not get yourself a Spotify Premium trial and see if you like it?

mrsure65

One question on Spotify, does it have the ability to play music offline?  I've kept Napster for that reason since I like to listen to music while driving, but go through spotty cell coverage,  and its pretty easy to download a napster playlist via its android app, and play my list anytime and anywhere.....

djmindseye616
Casual Listener
Yes it works way better then any music app out there when it works right.
You can save all your play lists and listen to them anytime. Plus spotify
has a lot more music then napster but the people at Spotify take forever to
fix their user interface amd don't care about their customers they make you
go to their website and botch abput everything. One huge complaint I hate
about spotify is they took away the option to search for music with the
speech to text option for yeats then put this crappy mic that you search
for an artist and it just chooses a song for you amd you cant even save it
or do anything with it bit stop ot amd go into the app and type in a search
if your looking for anything else so inconvenient. They will screw up their
user interface all the time then tell you they are always changingvto
improve spotify when it just takes away from what made it great.
SUGGESTED POSTS