Is spotify dying?

Highlighted

Is spotify dying?

ENAK
Regular

Hi,

With recent removal of lots of tracks from high-profile artists, especially associated with the Nuclear Blast label (but many others are also gone) - is there any point in using Spotify anymore? Premium lost it's rationalle instantly when the songs disappeared. Substituting missing songs with purchased mp3s is an option, but then it's better to just go back to traditional media players and don't bother with a huge ap, riddled with ads without premium.

Spotify support does nothing but post standard replies instead of any explanation - so obviously, they've been told to keep it quiet for now and hope for the best.

Could it be that S is essentially "dead within a year"?

Edit: As an update - apparently it's some local distributor change and the music will become available "soon" - as in, "by the end of the week". I sure hope it does as Spotify feels like the right way to go... But I get the feeling that the so called traditional music industry will actually drag the artists down with them, rather than just give up and go away.

BRs,

Marcin

9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Is spotify dying?

yourlastbf
Casual Listener

From what I understand, songs are usually removed due to them losing rights to the songs for whatever reason. If something happened specifically with Nuclear Blast, it would very much make sense for all their songs to be temporarily or permenantly own. Sometimes it takes very little time to get rights back, sometimes it takes longer. 

This is explained by spotify here. 

I haven't noticed any songs get taken down yet myself. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Highlighted

Shannon_T
Gig Goer

Hello Marcin,

I understand how frustrating it can be to not have certain artists or tracks available. Some artists or labels choose to not make their songs availble on Spotify, usually do to a "rights" issue. But Spotify is definitely not dying - its growing more and more everyday. If you have any feedback or ideas on how to improve Spotify, you can post them Spotify Ideas forum where staff members are always reviewing. Also, continue to check on the artists or tracks that are missing - I find that some of them do eventually become available. Best of luck!

~Shannon

Proclaimed Musicophile and Spotify Devotee
Highlighted

ENAK
Regular

^An update as there seems to be a reason for the music going away...

Highlighted

Jordi
Community Legend

Hi @ENAK 

Spotify would really love to have all songs available on there platform. Mostly it is the decicion by the label companies and or the artists.

Sometimes it's a rights/licensing issue or they want to release it later (or not :*( ) in a specific country.

It's hard to explain the exact reason. I would recommend contacting the label company and ask them why it is not available anymore.

We all hate it when our favorites tracks aren't available anymore, you are not alone.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Highlighted

FruitMeister
Roadie
It's a shame when music disappears from our streaming service of choice. In the end I think it will be the music execs and artists that will loose out. Yeah, I still buy CDs but most don't I guess so if they can't scratch an income from spotify , deezer or similar they're limiting themselves somewhat . Good luck to them with the file sharers , eh. No, I don't think spotify or any other streaming service will die.
Highlighted

miltonroe
In my opinion, spotify is definitely dying. In addition to high-profile artists being removed, it's hard to get customer support. My friend cancelled his service and got billed for an extra month. He can't get a response from customer support, Spotify's phone numbers are either fake or disconnected, and even the number they use for the billing contact on credit card statements is an unattended voicemail box. While this could all just be a case of poorly-run support, it seems like a symptom of corporate problems... they don't have the time, money, and energy to fix their support issues and have working phone numbers and emails to contact them with.
Highlighted

camillo75
Community Legend

New economy teaches that when a new business model is created, there is a period of time when the rules are costantly changing trying to find out if the business is a win or a lose.

Many companies start; usually the first to start is ahead of the others and usually have more experience on best practices and cost savings and has a huge customer base (like Spotify).

With big players entering in the contest (Apple, Google) revenues decrease and there is not much space left for many players.

Some of the little companies will be bought or will start to close.

Camillo

Highlighted

vickiixm
Regular

Hey! 
I actually just made a podcast about Spotify's use in the music industry, and how it's affecting people! Take a listen and let me know what you thought! You might have to make an account to comment but it's really quick 🙂 http://mhm.hud.ac.uk/MusicRadioHud/node/578

Highlighted

ryanhasabiggat

it NEEDS to smh just ruined my dance with a girl I LICK!!!! ughhhh

IMG_7488.JPG
SUGGESTED POSTS