John Williams confusion and others

John Williams confusion and others

xshayarsha
Regular

Page for artist 'John Williams' has two different artists: John Williams classical guitarist (Australian), and composer John Williams (American). Albums are totally mixed up.

The same with John Powell: John Powell British film composer, and John Powell American pianist and composer. I suppose there are some other confusions, but this is which I noticed right away.

There are also albums not attributed to any composer, although they should be.

In general, there is a great confusion with composers of film music: there is always section of albums attributed to a given composer, and a section of albums 'appears on'. While in case of film scores there is very often a situation when on the album you will find songs of different artists, the whole album is usually entitled 'composed by' or 'music by', what means that such album should be attributed to the given composer as one of his/her main works. Otherwise it is very confusing, and one has to search through endless lists of 'appears on' to find well-known albums of well-known composers. This should be sorted out, I think.

Apparently, there is no one much concerned with right order and attribution of film music albums on Spotify. If you need more detailed information or any help, please let me know :)

Otherwise, Spotify is a great resource of finding music, although it seems that there are very strange omissions in terms of film music, what perhaps is the result of copyright agreements. Hopfully your library will be updated in time.

3 Replies

Re: John Williams confusion and others

David
Spotify Legend
Hello,

There's a similar thread relating to multiple artists who share the same name right here - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Community-Contribution/Multiple-artists-with-the-same-name-Dan-Steve...
Airhorn Enthusiast

xshayarsha
Regular

Sure, but the thread and similar others, do not answer for the problem. People complain, but nothing changes. Like I said, I can help with sorting out these artists, and I suppose other users can do that as well. For people who know the artists in question it is a nuisance, people who discover them for the first time are lead astray by thinking that all these albums were made by the same person. Therefore, Spotify should do something about that, and if they unable to that by their own means, they should ask users for help.

Highlighted

David
Spotify Legend

Sadly, it's rather difficult due to the metadata throwing up the same name - I imagine other services may run into similar problems. 

However, we are trying to collect some cases where artists share the same name. You can supply us with such cases here.

Airhorn Enthusiast
SUGGESTED POSTS