Let's Pool the Revolutionary Songs of the World Together

Let's Pool the Revolutionary Songs of the World Together

fcakkalkurt
Music Fan

Hello,

I have started a new collaborative playlist: Revolutionary Songs of the Whole World

The matter is that revolutionary songs of the whole world will be joined together in this playlist. However, there is a rule to prevent spoiling: Only one revolutionary song from each country can be added to the playlist. And it's also important to choose a song in vernacular. Below, you can find the alphabetical list of all countries in the world. There are 196 countries that I could find, so there must be no more than 196 songs in the playlist. 

Adsız.png

As a Turkish user, I have added my favourite song of Turkey's most popular revolutionist band to the playlist and given a start. Now it's your turn. Please add your favourite revolutionary song from your country and let's grow our playlist together.

Revolutionary Songs of the Whole Worldhttps://open.spotify.com/user/11127471204/playlist/1ICnqwc6eFnvMvvNdcCN9x

Fırat Çakkalkurt
8 Replies

Re: Let's Pool the Revolutionary Songs of the World Together

DonSolare
Roadie

Hi Firat,

an original idea indeed.

I have to think a good revolutionary song from Argentina.

Of course, "define revolution" would be the meta-question...

I am mainly curious to see what is the concept of revolution in countries of the first world.

Juan María

fcakkalkurt
Music Fan

It's a good question Juan. I'm also curious on that matter too.

But as I know from my home country, every country provides space for the oppositional spirit to grow against sovereignty and gives rise to revolutionary songs irrespective of whether it may experience a complete revolution or not. So we'll wait and see the recommendations of users from first world countries.

And I'm also looking forward to hearing your recommendation from Argentina!

Fırat Çakkalkurt

user-removed
Not applicable

@fcakkalkurt

Hum using the word sovereignty has slightly different meanings depending on which region of the world one comes from, and which kind of Governmental system that society is ruled by?

Maybe revolutionary spirit against dictatorial and repressive regime Nations might be a better definition and direction? Just trying to be sure of the direction of the ideas behind the Collaborative Playlist. I have lot of Revolutionary and/or counter culture revolutionary songs in mind, but then again I come from the States which has had it's up swell of mass uprisings over various things throughout it's history, independence from colonial control, political, economic, organized labor, the social status quo, gender equality issues, and sexual identification and equality issues have all left a mark here in the U.S.

I have in mind of this song by A Perfect Circle which is just a counter revolutionary idea against the citizens of any Nation who blindly follow National leaders into War, and the song is really powerful and has a rather intense musical direction to it, Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums, which today might have much more power and meaning as certain regions of the world seem to be in a constant state of warfare now: 

DonSolare
Roadie

@fcakkalkurt wrote:

(...) every country provides space for the oppositional spirit to grow against sovereignty and gives rise to revolutionary songs irrespective of whether it may experience a complete revolution or not.

My concern is: what happens after a state (should we give names/examples or better not to?) reaches a state of material welfare, of prosperity. And also acceptable human rights. The revolution would be against what?

I see or read people from welfare countries agitating flags of revolution - and I cannot avoid to smile. For my ears it sounds like playing to be a revoluzzer. But of course, this might imply a narrow concept of revolution.

DonSolare
Roadie

@user-removed wrote:

@fcakkalkurt

Hum using the word sovereignty has slightly different meanings depending on which region of the world one comes from, and which kind of Governmental system that society is ruled by?

Maybe revolutionary spirit against dictatorial and repressive regime Nations might be a better definition and direction?  

Hi Jay,

It seems to me that the meanings that fcakkalkurt has in mind are better expressed with another word, not sovereignty (which is a property of the nation, not of a particular goverment). Let us know, fcakkalkurt.

Since you, Jay, are from USA: I would associate revolution with -for instance- the processes associated with liberation and civil rights of the black people. As I see it, it was a revolution since it turned upside-down a (sinister) system of beliefs (and of course a whole social organisation and economic system). But was it a revolution against a dictatorial goverment? Actually not, according to what I know of History - even the opposite. Surely, one cannot analyse Emancipation as an isolated thing, neither is here the best place to do it. I only wanted to point out that a revolution is not only, and not neesarily against a dictatorial and repressive regime - also against a generalized state of things which is conceived as negative by the guys leading said revolution. Correct me if I am wrong please.

reLoVution...

Juan María

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

@DonSolare

Nope not wrong at all in your points, as I pointed out the Historical uprisings here in the U.S. Maybe I should have used the words something along the lines of protests or social revolution against "aggressive and repressive citizens hell bent on restricting other citizens in society from the same rights they themselves enjoy in any society?

"I come from the States which has had it's up swell of mass uprisings over various things throughout it's history, independence from colonial control, political, economic, organized labor, the social status quo, gender equality issues, and sexual identification and equality issues have all left a mark here in the U.S."

DonSolare
Roadie

@user-removed wrote:

@DonSolare Maybe I should have used the words something along the lines of protests or social revolution against "aggressive and repressive citizens hell bent on restricting other citizens in society from the same rights they themselves enjoy in any society?

Is a good formulation!

Whereby, at that point in time (XVIIIth century) they were not even understood as "other citizens in society". But of course, your point is clear.

I am not an expert in revolutions but my guess is that there exist revolutions of different natures. Against a regime, against an oppresive class... and possibly not only "against" but "pro" something. A taxology of the nature of revolutions is still to be done - along with new playlists to illustrate them. :)

JM

fcakkalkurt
Music Fan

Hi everyone!

A Perfect Circle's Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums is added to the playlist.

Waiting for more songs...

Fırat Çakkalkurt
SUGGESTED POSTS