Mark E. Smith - A Tribute

Highlighted

Mark E. Smith - A Tribute

Spotify
Spotify

Yesterday, I was stood in East London's MOTH club when my partner saw the news of the passing of Mark E. Smith. The reports came in thick and fast from all the major news outlets, and as I stood waiting to watch the band I'd come to see that night, I felt a very strange emptiness after hearing the news. I had half a warm beer in one hand, her phone in the other, and a whole load of sadness.

I've written about my admiration for Smith previously here on the Community; his music was a gateway for many into the darker, experimental side of independent music.

Everything he did was a left turn... from his frivolance of firing and hiring band members, to his habit of moving every microphone onstage during performances, he was not only a sound engineer's nightmare, but the worst bandmate you could imagine. But from the stalls, he was the ideal cult frontman. The crowd loved him and he despised them with equal passion.

I'd like to use this opportunity to re-post a playlist of my favourite Fall tunes, with an updated selection and a new bio. I hope you find this as your gateway into the wonderful & frightening world of The Fall.

spotify:user:05jstevens:playlist:7ca5dauWhuTRrP41QQz2TA

I'd also like to select a few live favourites, which capture the pure unhinged methods of his performance style.

I was lucky enough to witness The Fall in Norwich, back in October 2012. I was 18 with a bad haircut and an even worse third-hand car, and I had an amazing night watching him in the flesh. He was sardonic, tetchy, and incredibly funny.

Here's a picture I took from the back all those years ago, followed by a selection of my favourite live tracks from the many bootlegs available to hear...

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.46.39.pngThe Fall, Norwich, October 2012

'Touch Sensitive' Live in San Fransisco, 2013

spotify:track:4nKwey6GXUD6nWtAOxBgdu:small

'Theme From Sparta FC' Live in Hammersmith, 2007

spotify:track:5WKwsFKMz03GOtiz3TpQJB:small

'Psycho Mafia' Live in Liverpool, 1978

spotify:track:5v3pD7OwcHqZMeKY1zPaFV:small

'Rowche Rumble' Live in Doncaster, 1980

spotify:track:2oBN8swMPodC5oXv1IlmD8:small

As a footnote, I'd love to give you some extra homework for your Fall travels. Check out this documentary that was made about the man back in 2004.

Rest in peace, Mark E. Smith. The original Hip Priest.

8 Replies

Re: Mark E. Smith - A Tribute

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

Very nice tribute @Jack

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spotify
Spotify

Thanks, @Soundofus.

Hopefully a few more people can now discover The Fall through this.

David_Clavijo
Roadie

Very nice tribute mate! 

Spotify
Spotify

Thanks @David_Clavijo! Spinning 'Hex Enduction Hour' as we speak in tribute to the Hip Priest himself.

David_Clavijo
Roadie

Great album and best song @JackS! 

shakercoola
Regular

Mark E Smith had many music preferences and artists he admired though he didn't admit to any inspirations. Here is a list of some of his favourite music which I compiled from the many interviews he gave over the years...

spotify:user:shakercoola99:playlist:3sS76CbBZr56mgkCpxQmZH

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @shakercoola,

Thanks for sharing this - it's another great take on his life. It's interesting to see where his inspirations came from.

I discovered a lot of the German krautrock stuff through Mark, too. Faust and CAN appear here, I notice.

Also a lot of bands from the Nuggets compilation, made by Elektra records and Lenny Kaye. That compilation album was a real gateway for me too, into the underground American garage and psych.

BrotherTwelve
Roadie

You haven’t included anything by Von Sudenfed :face_with_rolling_eyes:

SUGGESTED POSTS