Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Method for Finding New Music

Method for Finding New Music

At times discovering new music for playlists can be quite a challenge given the accelerated rate artists (mainstream and indie) are now releasing content. It seems that each song/project released there are at least a dozen more like it I feel I would like and want to explore but run into time constraints relative to balance.

To help with this I create folders to store the content to revisit when time permits (see below):

TRY/ARTIST EXPLORE FOLDER

• Artist 1
  • Artist 2

ALBUMS/EP FOLDER

• Genre 1
  • Genre 2

TODAY FOLDER

This folder is populated from the top two folders. I simply take music from the top two folders and place them here for music I want to explore today.

What methods do you guys use to keep from missing out on potentially great music?

4 Replies

Thanks for a great question and I am curious how others discover new music.  I have Shazam and it will help identify a song I haven't heard before if I am out and about and hear a song I like.  

I used Spotify's Discover playlist that updates every Monday and every Friday I listen to all the new music.  I will also listen to the new music Friday playlist that is geared towards me based on my songs.  Often those songs aren't mainstream because I have a lot of music that hasn't gone mainstream.  The more songs you add the better the algorithm is.  Also with Spotify, I will listen to what my friends are listening to.  Additionally, I will use the "related artists" feature and help build my music library.  I was able to add a ton of songs that way.  I've discovered a lot of songs on Spotify Community and a British music message board called "Drowned in Sound community.  I love how Spotify will also play songs after the end of playlist under their recommended songs.  There is usually a song or two I will discover that way.  One of the coolest ways to discover new songs is just type in a word on the search bar and just listen to all the songs with that word in it.  It works that way with artists.  I find that one of the most satisfying discoveries when I find someone that way.  Daily mixes are a good way to find new stuff too.

Pandora was one of the very first to create a streaming type of service. 

Youtube is one of the best ways to discover new music.  Great with recommendations. 

I'm not familiar with iTunes but I imagine it's good also. 

I will use movies, tv shows, word of mouth, whatever it takes to discover new music.  I think putting together folders is very important to categorize your music.  I have so much that it's easier to find music.  Hope this helps answer your question.

Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant, On Spotify every version I have looked up is not by him, it sounds like some Karaoke singer. Can anyone explain? Or at least tell me where to find the genuine version of this song. Thanks

@musicorumgenius

Thank you for your reply. 

I use most of those same methods as well. I will have to explore the What Friends Are Listening To option, I do not recall ever seeing it listed as it option on my devices, how do you access it?

@kfallsjr 

It's probably the Friend Activity they were referring to. 🙂

It's a desktop feature, here's the article if you wish to learn more.

About music discoveries, I've joined a last.fm discord server and discovered they really like doing things like flash playlists and weekly playlists, where every user can add a song to based on the playlist's theme.

And then we listen to the playlist more or less in sync, and comment on them. :')

Man it's so endearing in many ways.

Other than that, being members of some artist groups on Facebook is nice as well as following artists on Twitter, for they may often talk about artists they're inspired by, or what they love.

I also look for "Curated by [artist]"-sort of playlists.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts