Not applicable

Vance Joy's Riptide reminds me sunny days, warmth and huge wheat fields! 😄

spotify:track:3JvrhDOgAt6p7K8mDyZwRd

#fff277

Schermata 2016-05-27 alle 11.40.28.png

Re: Music & Color: Yellow

mrgsteele
Roadie

This song reminds me of when it starts to cool off at sunset on a hot summer day:

spotify:track:6YnUxW8CtOnI6mp3oh61Gr

Hex code: #f8ca00

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 4.08.52 PM.png

reesemckenna
Music Fan

My_sideproject
Regular

GeorgeDale
can you tell me how to post my own topic please as i cant find a link anywhere thats says post 😞

JobJetson
Gig Goer

Hi, I checked out this post and it really fits my latest release!

spotify:album:4Ead5SWKv1FqOXwXqwP3Xt

#FFD700

-Job Jetson

@JobJetson

soundcloud.com/jobjetson
twitter.com/jobjetson

rogel-13
Casual Listener
spotify:track:2dvJidXAZfQZBQG5l3cs26 #e3d016

emmyshouse123

Jonahman10
Roadie

@saved I generally would not think of this piece as yellow. My Audio-Visual Synesthesia is mostly timbral, though it is also affected a little bit  by register and pitch classes/keys. So timbrally strings tend to be warm browns, and the harp tends to be glistening white but more dot-like in shape, rather than the ribbon of sound of the strings. In terms of key, it tends to be focusing on F and D I beleive (I do not actually have perfect pitch). F tends to give a warmish orange color where D tends to be brown, but oftentimes a sparkly brown, though the section in D iis minor and I think the sparklyness comes from the major chord, which the melody tends to end on. Its really quite complex and hard to explain because there is a lot going on when I see music.

Yellow tends to be associated with Brass Instruments, especially cylindrical instruments like the Trumpet and Trombone, (Conical Instruments like the Horn, Euphonium, and Tuba tend to be a bit more colorful and expressive). That being said, a lot of trumpet/bugle calls tend to be yellow. Also keys centering around E tend to be yellow. Oddly, due to Orchestration and other factors Dvorak's 9th Symphony in E Minor is much darker and warmer in color scheme with a lot of oranges and browns. Tchaikovsky's 5th is pretty Yellow, especially the ending of the last movement. There is also quite a bit of yellow in pieces like Also Sprach Zarathustra and Aaron's Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, however there is a lot of open spacing in the chords of those works

which gives it a very powerful, wide and big, but almost empty sort of feel.

I think I will post the finale to Tchaikovsky's 5th, at the end of the 4th movement.

spotify:track:2rrqZBzys7NjKPS9ZFpqXJ

While it isn't Perfect this yellow gets pretty close to the primary color scheme at the beggining and end of the movement (though the trumpets are a little bit buzzing in this verson making it fuzzier than most versions I have heard).

http://www.color-hex.com/color/f3f812

I also have Grapheme-Visual Synesthesia, which is where characters for writing (like letters and numbers) have color.

~Soli Deo Gloria~
* If you see a single asterisk like before this sentence, it most likely denotes sarcasm.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Classical Musicians Unite!

saved
Roadie

@Johahman10 

That's a lot to take in. You are clearly far more technically knowledgeable about music than I will ever be so some of it is sadly beyond my understanding. 🙂

I am quite surprised by the complexity and detail in what you see. I'm also surprised, although I don't understand why, that you see any yellow at all in Also Spoke Zarathustra and Fanfare For The Common Man. As regards your Tchaikovsky example - I feel (not see, of course) mid blue with splashes of yellow.

Then I remember that you have a hard-wired response to the sounds, not simply a "feel" for them.

There are many more questions I would like to ask, but I am wary of hijacking this thread.

I find all of this fascinating. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

SUGGESTED POSTS