Re: Music specifically for creative writing

Rising Star 16 musicajet
Rising Star 16

Hi @Tim_Thomaes,

2 more...

spotify:track:7MjVyQGlnbdxGmSj7fGoDi

spotify:track:7HyiilIT7auahMGiO7Qh22

musicajetRising Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

JackSolar
Music Fan

i629q9bgyiomt00
Music Fan

lofi music isreally good for thinking,theres someone named the bootleg boy who i highly recommend

Jimmypink

@Tim_Thomaes wrote:

I've been thinking about how to describe music that works for writing. Of course it's different for everyone, but let's take my personal experience because I think there are more people that would feel the same about it. 

Side note: I'm not good with labelling music with common genres. Not because I don't want to conform to anything, just because I've never exchanged a lot of thoughts on music with others which leaves me with a lack of 'musical common ground' with most people.

For instance, when I want to get 'inspired', I like to listen music that is > 10 minutes long. The longer it keeps flowing, the longer you keep floating. 

Other keywords that typically come to mind when music gets me going creatively are:

- playful but melancholic
- very slow build up
- dramatic, but not too heavy and not ironically
- timeless
- hypnotizing, but not in a minimal way

Anyone else who reckognizes this and has something to add or a playlist to share? I gave it a shot here: https://open.spotify.com/user/thomaestim/playlist/7rSzEl8MW3rUrwnLTnHKUl

A good mix for writing:

spotify:user:1276662436:playlist:2E2zfdtZe65ByqtFGaht7B

ChrisGleckman
Music Fan

Hello @Tim_Thomaes

If you’re into poetic, eerie, love songs, you should check this song out/add it to your playlist if you like it!

https://open.spotify.com/track/7k1ZvVZUyffgXdA8qHFSh6?si=xOqckxltTZKxZNI4iSrYfw

AgustHelgason
Casual Listener

For the past five months I've been nerding a very specific kind of music that makes my brain buzz with creativity. It's a bit less dramatic then your list, but I think you'll like it. I call it 'Soft Melodic Dream'.

QuasiDiatonic
Music Fan

Excellent playlist! As a writer myself, I find myself looking for music to listen to while writing often.  I do not have a particular playlist but what I personally look for is music with wit and music that does not inform my writing.  For example, if I listen to Bruce Springsteen (whom I love) I find that his songwriting can distract or inform my own since it is so narrative driven.  I often will listen to Randy Newman, his scores and his songs.  spotify:album:26BCalUBTbAn43AFrPE29T .  Try out Eric Whitacre as well for some beautiful music.  Racing Glaciers is a great choice for a more modern rock group that works for me. spotify:track:6ix0JxyNfA7eBC9W56JRpj

QuasiDiatonic
Music Fan

Also this, hard to go wrong with Victor Wooten.  

spotify:track:3tNWq5KGDs4BuIwCo1EjHT

spiralight_
Roadie
SUGGESTED POSTS