On This Day :
June 10, 1967 : California's Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival was held June 10 and 11, at the Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Amphitheatre high on the south face of Mount Tamalpais in Marin County, California.
Fun facts :
* At least 36,000 people attended the two-day concert.
* It was the first of a series of San Francisco area cultural events known as the Summer of Love.
* It is considered to have been America's first rock music festival.
Line up 10 June 1967 :
The Charlatans / Mount Rushmore / Rodger Collins / Dionne Warwick / The Doors / The Lamp of Childhood / Canned Heat / Jim Kweskin Jug Band / Spanky and Our Gang / Blackburn & Snow / The Sparrows / Every Mother's Son / Kaleidoscope / The Chocolate Watchband / The Mojo Men / The Merry-Go-Round /
Line up 11 June 1967 :
Jefferson Airplane / The Byrds w/ Hugh Masekela / P. F. Sloan / Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band / The Seeds / The Grass Roots / The Loading Zone / Tim Buckley / Every Mother's Son / Steve Miller Blues Band / Country Joe and the Fish / Sons of Champlin / The 5th Dimension / The Lamp of Childhood / The Mystery Trend / Penny Nichols / The Merry-Go-Round / New Salvation Army Band /
Fun Facts :
* It was The Doors' first large show.
* The Magic Mountain Music Festival was favorably reviewed for safety.
* Fights or disturbances were not an issue.
* At the end of the day, trash was placed in or next to the garbage cans provided, and the crowd left the Mount Tamalpais as they found it.
* The next week a crowd of 200,000 attended the Monterey Pop Festival.