Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Original version, and copy (good or bad)

Original version, and copy (good or bad)

hello !

New game ( If you want ! )

Everything is in the title

If the author died around 1752 (traditional)
No original version (of course)

Example With "On the road Again" By Canned heat ( 1968 )

And Stalwax EP ( Copy ) - 2008

162 Replies

Groupie (Superstar) by Delanie & Bonnie (1969)

Superstar covered by The Carpenters (1971)

Superstar covered by Sonic Youth

Only musicologists and R.E.M. superfans are likely to know this is a cover in the first place

Superman by The Clique

Superman covered by R.E.M.

Desperado by The Eagles

Desperdo covered by The Langley Schools Music Project (1976)

I only discovered after the fact that this late-70s AM-radio staple was originally written and recorded by Todd Rundgren and Utopia.

Love is the Answer - by Utopia (Todd Rundgren) (1977)

Love is the Answer covered by England Dan and John Ford Coley (1979)

This goes a bit beyond just being a cover. I'm sure most everyone is already familiar, but it's pretty amazing.

My Favorite Things by Julie Andrews (from The Sound of Music)

My Favorite Things completely reinterpreted by John Coltrane

Go Down Easy by John Martyn

Go Down Easy covered by Beth Orton

I think in this case, I'm going to put the cover version first.

Run to the Hills covered by Hellsongs (video)

Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden (original)

Unfortunately, neither the original or the cover are on Spotify, but I think this video gives a more complete experience of this cover version anyway.

Thunderstruck by Steve'n'Seagulls (original by AC/DC)

This is more a case of "sampling" than full cover version, but still interesting to compare the original to what followed

Medley: Ike's Rap II/Help Me Love by Issac Hayes

(sample source beings at :36 seconds)

Glory Box by Portishead (live version...original isn't on Spotify)

Hell is Round the Corner by Tricky

And I'll end with a link to Wallace Collection - Daydream (live in 1969).

Hello !

Happy New Year for all

"Mr. Tambourine Man" is a song written, composed, and performed by Bob Dylan, who released his original version of it on his 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home. The Byrds also recorded a version of the song that they released in the same year as their first single on Columbia Records

Melanie Anne Safka-Schekeryk (born February 3, 1947) is an American singer-songwriter. Known professionally as Melanie, she is best known for her hits "Brand New Key", "Ruby Tuesday", "What Have They Done to My Song Ma" or "Mr Tambourine man"

Hello!

This song is performed by Elliott Smith and appears on the album Either/Or (1997) and on the soundtrack Good Will Hunting (1997).

This song has been covered by Chris Garneau under the title "Between The Bars".( Music for Tourists ( 2007 ) and by The Civil Wars ( EP - 2013 )  ..........( inter alia )

Song To the Siren by Tim Buckley

Covered originally by Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins for Ivo Watts-Russell's 4AD project This Mortal Coil. And covered several more times since. The versions by The Czars and Dead Can Dance are particularly good.

On a related note, this unfinished duet between Jeff Buckley (Tim's son) and Elizabeth Fraser is well worth a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPvnIKCJY

Halloween, Alaska completely reinvents LL Cool J's rap song "I Can't Live Without My Radio", giving it a melody and downtempo delivery. The whole album is pretty good, BTW. Recommended for fans of The Blue Nile and Prefab Sprout.

Original by LL Cool J

Hello !!

Running up that hill

"Running Up That Hill" is a song by the English singer-songwriter Kate Bush. It was the first single from her 1985 album, Hounds of Love, released in the United Kingdom on 5 August 1985. It was her first 12" single. It was the most successful of Bush's 1980s releases, entering the UK chart at No. 9 and eventually peaking at No. 3, her second-highest single peak.

Alternative rock band Placebo covered "Running Up That Hill", releasing it originally on the bonus disc of their 2003 album Sleeping with Ghosts,

In 1965, Jackson C. Frank released his debut self-titled album. The album was produced by Paul Simon and contained what would be his most well-known song "Blues Run the Game"

Later in 1965, Simon and Garfunkel recorded their own version as part of the Sounds of Silence session. The song remained unreleased until the mid-90s when it appeared on the "Old Friends" compilation. It was later included as a bonus track on a reissue of "Sounds of Silence".

A few years later, Nick Drake recorded a version which was released well after his death on "Family Tree", along with three other Jackson C. Frank covers.

In 2008, Alela Diane recorded a fantastic version as part of her Headless Heroes cover project.

Other notable versions are performed by

Robin Pecknold (Fleet Foxes) with White Antelope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVH0LBZHg8I

Colin Meloy (The Decemberists)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65Cqy1WdT4

Jackson C. Frank had a pretty troubled life. You can learn more on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_C._Frank

Hello !

Into The Groove

"Into the Groove" is a song by American singer-songwriter Madonna from the 1985 film Desperately Seeking Susan. It was featured on the re-issue of her second studio album, Like a Virgin (1984), and released on July 23, 1985, by Sire Records as the album's fourth single outside North America.

Into The Groove - Jeremy Jay ( Through The Wildderness: A Tribute To Madonna - 2007 )

Hello!

Let her go - Passenger ( 2012 )

"Let her go" is a song written and recorded by British singer-songwriter Passenger. It was recorded at Sydney's Linear Recording and co-produced by Mike Rosenberg and Chris Vallejo. The recording features Australian musicians Stu Larsen, Georgia Mooney, Stu Hunter, Cameron Undy and Glenn Wilson. "Let Her Go" was released in July 2012 as the second single from Passenger's third album, All the Little Lights. ( Wikipedia )

Let Her Go - Matt johnson - 2014

Seven Nation Army By The White Stripes

And Seven nation army by Marcus Collins

Personally i think there is no competition the White Stripes have it bay far you can't beat the original!!

America by Simon & Garfunkel (from Bookends, 1968)

America covered by First Aid Kit (2014)

America covered by Yes (1971)

Hello !

Act Nice And Gentle

This song is performed by The Kinks and appears on the 1998 reissue of the album "Something Else" By The Kinks (1967).

Act Nice And Gentle - The Black Keys ( 2004 )

Suggested posts