Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Perfectionism: How do you organize your music?

Perfectionism: How do you organize your music?

Hi there!

I have been with Spotify for a while, yet I have not been able to properly organize my music. For as long as I can remember, all my songs have always been under one giant playlist (currently in Songs under Your Music). I have made multiple attempts at organizing my music, but I am never satisfied with the attempts halfway through. I usually tried to organize by the feeling of the song and what situations the song would be best in. But, with perfectionism in the way, I trash the whole project and end up with wasted time and no progress.

I was wondering, how do you guys usually organize your music? Also, how do you know which music should go under the Songs section of Your Music?

25 Replies

Hey!! I know that this question is like 5 years old but I just really wanted to share my method as I am one of the only people I know that organizes music like this!

First, I have a master playlist. This playlist has everything and anything I listen to on it. It has single songs but also whole albums and everything in between. This is a really good thing for me because it allows me to be able to listen to any song I like at any time, as they're all in the same place!

Next, I have individual playlists filled with songs that I'm currently listening to. I get bored of songs very quickly so rather than delete playlists I just make new ones with the songs that I'm currently interested in hearing. By the end of the year, I end up with anywhere from 8-24 playlists, and the way I organize these is by putting them in a yearly folder. Every once and a while I like to go back to these playlists and listen to them as they remind me of the specific time when I would listen to those specific songs. I also usually privatize these playlists when I'm no longer listening to them.

Finally, I have playlists for moods. This is for specific collections of music like sad music, nostalgic music, or anything you want. The possibilities are endless! 

If you want to check my account out and see what I'm talking about, my Spotify username is adeliamhayes . Hope this helps someone!

Great question (age of thread is a non-factor)!

Personally I like to use a master yearly folder and from there I make genre folders which may bleed into other types such as mood, theme, etc.

Like most who have replied, I too am often making playlists. I often find myself revisiting playlists from years past just to see I still like them.

- Liked Songs for shuffling all my music I like

- Genre specific playlists

- Archive playlist - songs I got bored about - but still want to keep around

First start digging, and just hit like on the songs I like. That's the quickest way to get everything into one playlist. After that piles up I can split it into mood and genre, though I probably spend more time on finding new music than anything else. 

Sometimes I also like to use a service that makes a playlist for me based off another song I suggest, for me its all about song discovery. But I mean theres ultimately only a couple of ways anyone can really organize their music. Mood, Genre, Key Signature, and BPM ... SO yeah .. 

For me it’s always same proceeding: categorizing music in the four seasons (winter, autumn, spring and summer) so i listen to the music of each period of the year and reminds me to it. When the year ends i just join all of them and create a 2021 album for example. So here i can find my favorite music of this year 🙂

I also have genres playlists and i try to add every song to the genre if it i really love it, so they get updated constantly.

Mu favorites i add them to my “like”list or favorites.

https://open.spotify.com/user/taniadg7?si=Tb_mVIlDS6ejoj3w9CxSiQ 

The seasons idea is genius, I've never thought of that. I've been doing
weekly playlists for discoveries, then adding my top 25 to a monthly
playlist. Genre playlists are essential too though.

Thanks for the tip! Gave you a follow

Suggested posts