Places you look for a new music you like?

Places you look for a new music you like?

bzite
Roadie

I would be very grateful if you shared some tips and tricks and blogs and pages where you look for new music.

Well, I for a while now have been enjoying this great music blog:

MySpoonful

You can also browse by genre over there.

Also my path is always kind of a similiar - if I find a song or an artist I like, I always look for similiar artists and songs on Youtube, then I Spotify them to see their top tracks.

Screen+shot+2014-09-09+at+8.18.47+PM.png

11 Replies

Re: Places you look for a new music you like?

user-removed
Not applicable

Spotify in first place!

user-removed
Not applicable

I check Spotify first, and since I am in the States and the streaming service is free I will poke around the Myspace music service. The service went through a complete recode and reboot of the whole system it is now worlds beyond what it used to be. Then I will check Youtube, as a last resort I might poke in at Rdio since they have a better webplayer interface working for some reason, but really hate the overall snow blind white of everything. And as an absolute last resort grooveshark, but I really dispise their service, allot of track skipping, and user uploaded junk, and/or badly ripped stuff and I would not trust the service with any kind of legal payment method. They tried to take over for what the IMEEM service did before it was bought out by myspace, but IMEEM had a far better functional legal service and a much nicer webplayer interface. So it is Spotify I head to first, if they could dramatically expand their music catalogue access for US, CA, and MX listeners for missing artists and some of their content access for their service I would drop everything else in a heart beat.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @bzite MySpoonful is a great blog--I've been reading that one for a while. I first read about Sacco and Pepper Rabbit through them. My playlist is here: myspoonful

I'm personally a big fan of Spotify Radio. I find new artists or songs and start new stations. From there I just let the radio play and save the songs that interest me. I got back through and listen to my Your Music 'Songs' to rediscover tracks. 

The Pitchfork app within Spotify is also a favorite spot. 

Tytoalba
Roadie

Since the new Swarm.fm website has launched I'm regularly checking it for new releases.

Some blogs/websites i enjoy when searching for new music:

- a closer listen (Ambient/Drone/Experimental/Field-Recording)

- The Field Reporter (Field Recording/Experimental)

- ATTN Magazine (Experimental)

- Avant Music News (Avantgarde/Jazz/Improvisation/Experimental...)

- Textura (Ambient/Electronic/Jazz/Classical...)

- Anti-Gravity Bunny (Drone/Ambient/Doom/Experimental...)

- Freejazzblog (Jazz/Free Improvisation)

- Tiny Mix Tapes (Experimental/Indie/Electronic...)

- Touching Extremes (Experimental/Avantgarde/Ambient/Improvisation...)

- Boomkat (Indie)

My Spotify Playlists:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1121836615

bzite
Roadie

Tiny Mix Tapes looks like an interesting place. Thanks!

hans-jürgen
Roadie

I would probably visit Myspace more often if they offered their large Premium artist catalogue in Germany as well, but they don't, and it does not look as if they ever will.

Of course I'm using Last.fm in connection with Spotify, too, i.e. with the Last.fm for Spotify app and also with the Spotify on-demand feature on all Last.fm web pages. Furthermore I have exported all important playlists and personal tag radios from Last.fm to Spotify in the meantime with Ivy. As all streaming services scrobble to Last.fm these days (either natively or through browser extensions), it will always have the complete overview of my overall listening history and also the best recommendations based on that. Recently I have exported that listening history to Spotify as well with the new online tool Last.fm to csv and Ivy.

Lately there were interesting news about Rdio and Deezer which I have already used in the past. Rdio is free for all now with an ad-sponsored access, even in Germany without time limits. And Deezer started this week in the U.S., but for now only with an "Elite" access for $19.99 streaming losslessly in FLAC format to hardware devices like Sonos et al. They will offer their usual web player access later in the U.S. as well.

Last but not least there is Xbox Music available through a web player for free for some time now which I also like. After six months the access will be limited to 10 hours per month though.

bzite
Roadie

And also Lazify!

The name of the app fits it very good. You just drop one song and you see plenty more, the selection is very good and always something new to discover.

aaaaaaa.png

hans-jürgen
Roadie

Right, Lazify uses the Last.fm API to create similar tracks lists from the Last.fm database in the same way the Last.fm for Spotify app does, but up to eight hours long, not only 20 tracks. And there is a new online tool called Lastfm2Spotify which lists the Spotify play links to albums from your Last.fm recommended artists and new releases from your recently listened artists as well. See this thread about tools and apps connecting Last.fm and Spotify which I recently created in the Spotify support group on Last.fm.

user-removed
Not applicable

DJ Beat RecordsI look also for music by subscribing to RECORD LABELS or ARTISTS I like on Facebook. Very much music suggestions, new releases in hands up, techno, dancecore, these days EDM etc...

My favorite label is DJ Beat Records. They have awesome page!!!

So just get Facebook, subscribe to labels and artists you like and get music suggestions!!!

Thanks.

SUGGESTED POSTS