Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Progressive Rock Bands

Progressive Rock Bands

Is anyone here a Progressive Rock/Metal fan? If so, which bands do you enjoy listening to?

60 Replies

Some of mine are Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush, Circus Maximus, and Ayreon.

Hi,

I am a prog. rock fan:-).

In the 90's Dream Theater, Queensryche, Psychotic waltz, Fates Warning, Conception, etc.

Nowadays Riverside, Haken, TesseracT, Teramaze, Circus Maximus and a lot of other awesome bands. I am having some cool playlists shared here in the community as well.

You may look into those as you wish.

I live for prog rock and prog metal!

Some bands I've been listening to lately: BTBAM, Rush, Frost, Big Big Train, Symphony X, Opeth, Steve Wilson, Orphaned Land, Animals As Leaders, Dream Theater, Riverside, Meshuggah, Vektor (if that counts), Gojira, Planet X, Liquid Tension/Trio Experiment, Rush, Ange, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic, King's X, Ayreon, Adagio, Angra, Haken and of course our dear Devin Townsend (Project/Band).

Sincerely,
Me

Hi,

That is cool! Do you have any good playlists made by you to follow?  This is the best genre in the world.

I also suggest progmetalzone on Spotify - check out this profile - he posts monthly playlists of songs from new prog. rock albums of the genre available on Spotify.

Riverside had the best album last year for me and this year it is Haken's Affinity so far but some very cool bands will come out shortly with new materials this year - Fates Warning, DGM, Teramaze, etc.

BTW - did you check the new Frost*? Just came out on 27th May - available on Spotify. Pretty good.

Happy listening!

Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Illogistical Resource Dept.

I have listened to some parts of the new Frost album, I've yet to finish it but so far I've liked what I've heard! Riverside, especially with all the acclamation they've been getting lately, are not only staying awesome but rising in popularity. Love, Fear, And The Time Machine did not disappoint the high expectations I had built up for the band. DGM, Fates Warning, and Teramaze are all great and I am really excited for their upcoming material!

Sincerely,
Me

Hi,

Indeed - you have covered the 3 most anticipated albums I am aware currently for the rest of the year. In addition I fully agree with all your words in regards to Riverside's 'Love, Fear and the Time Machine'. This album should be known by everyone - simply a classic and with their 'softer approach' the album has lots of treasures for people who may wish to listen to material which is easier to digest. And beyond the surface - the whole is a beauty.

Ok - happy waiting to the stuff mentioned and upcoming shortly!

Bets wishes,

Balazs 

Old school! How can you have a list and not have Pink Floyd on there? Also, Genesis, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, ELP, Marillion, Renaissance, Camel, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, and of course Rick Wakeman to name a few...

Enjoy

Prog Rock old school rules! Good to find people with similar tastes. Keep on progging and cheers!

I live for prog rock too, best genre ever! I love the classis ones such as Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Camel, Jethro Tull, Genesis and many more! The most recent ones: Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Anathema, RPWL, Ayreon... and for sure the best current one for me is Steven Wilson, such a genius! Nice to be in touch with prog people. Cheers!

I got into progressive rock in the early 80's, starting with Asia, then branching out to bands Asia members had been in and other related bands. Bands I like include Yes, Renaissance, U.K., Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I also listen to several more obscure ones from time to time.

I recently made a couple huge progressive rock playlists that you may find helpful for finding more progressive rock. They group whole albums together, and I use them by putting them on shuffle. Since the playlists, as posted here, are capping out at 200, I have edited this to also include playlist links.

This first one focuses on covers of progressive rock songs that were originally played by some of the classic artists I mentioned above. This is useful for finding newer progressive rock artists you may also like.

https://open.spotify.com/user/128759556/playlist/27dCqs3LSa1BdFKN1XcHbZ

spotify:user:128759556:playlist:27dCqs3LSa1BdFKN1XcHbZ

My second one focuses on what members of Yes have done outside of Yes. This sometimes includes other bands they were in or collaborations with artists who were not in Yes.

https://open.spotify.com/user/128759556/playlist/5eKM0UoZe8LH68xsRte4G3

spotify:user:128759556:playlist:5eKM0UoZe8LH68xsRte4G3

spotify:user:128759556

Hello!

I really like Can, Coheed and Cambria, Genesis, Opeth, Dream Theater, and some of Rush's / Marillion

I agree, old school is the best!

King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, Rush, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Marillion, Renaissance , Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, Camel, Alan Parsons Project, Asia.

These are some of the progressive rock bands I listen to.

Enjoy!

I found this band from Costa Rica, Mgapie Jay. Quite progressive, english sung.

All great bands! To be original may i suggest one out of the scheme? this is the band of one of the greatest videogame music composer Nobuo Uematsu  and they play a good progressive rock 'n' metal---> the Black Mages, unfortunately i can't find them on spotify..... here the link on wiki https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Mages

Matteo Musolino

When Genesis released the R-Kive set a couple of years ago I thought it was a great idea, but was dissapointed with the watered-down result. So... here is R-Kive proper with what is available on Spotify. (Gabriel and Lamb missing...ouch.)

spotify:user:jbostic:playlist:6Jegx1J6PBVOVazz7wW3CO

genesis.jpg

Classic prog from Yes and solo projects 1971-80.

spotify:user:jbostic:playlist:4JC90IH3h4nfj2VnvS7liN

yes.jpg

A work in progress playlist of classic prog:

spotify:user:jbostic:playlist:5MJGCgi6wr5n6qS5yF3vUJ

prog rock.jpg

Suggested posts