Question of the Day: Do you still go to record stores?

Question of the Day: Do you still go to record stores?

ChristianReject
Roadie

I still love going to record stores and buying physical music. Nothing like finding that one album and play it at home while I read the lyrics/liner notes and having a drink and I'm totally content. Always had positive vibes in all the stores I've been to, so that's a plus.

Sometimes I'll use Spotify to see if I like an album and get it the next time I go to the store.

What about you? Do you still go to a record store? Why or why not?

STAY HYDRATED AND LISTEN TO MUSIC FOREVER.

love you.

9 Replies

Re: Question of the Day: Do you still go to record stores?

KristenOBrien
Music Fan

I love physical copies, I always have. Vinyl sounds better and I feel a deeper connection to the music.

Jamesgatz1920
Regular

I love vinyl records everything about them is amazing to me i could spend all day inside listening to my collection. I still go to record stores but its kind of a far drive for me so alot of times i buy some off of amazon as well. I'll even buy the occasional cd.

FriekoRieko
Gig Goer

I used to go there twice a month, and buy at least 1 cd every visit. But that stopped about 5 years ago.. My cd collection is now collecting dust in the attic. (+- 1.000 cd's i guess).. Never really got up to getting rid of them.. i think i could cash about 500 euro at least for the total collection, maybe i will do it now, come to think of it.

I stopped visiting record stores when i started full time streaming, via either youtube, soundcloud or spotify

user-removed
Not applicable

Sadly when the local Vinyl/CD music store closed here, that day was a sad day for me. The local owned music retail store, this was a great music focal point for me in my youth and early adult life. I would go browse the second hand CD's and even Vinyl, and even browse the section of the new plastic wrapped sealed new releases available for sale as well. The store had a dedicated section for releases by local bands from within the State, and also some releases from a few bands/artists from surrounding States close by. Artists that were releasing new content, and also doing live gigs in and around the State where I grew up.

This was also my go to place to catch up on all the local shows going on and which rock/metal bands were coming to town, as many bands on tour would come through and play at rather small venues with two or three supporting bands with them. I still have a rather larger collection of live show fliers in a scrape book somewhere, I used to collect them religiously.

There were many weekends I would end up leaving the music store with three or four used CD's. This was my go to location and my ability in a somewhat affordable way to build up such a fast and vast music collection of Vinyl and CD's. Used to have about 500 Vinyl albums, and way over 1000 Cd's currently, though it has been many years I have bought a CD copy of music new or used.

Sadly those days are gone, but even through this loss, I still have more music at my finger tips than ever before through Spotify, and a few early other music streaming services that went belly up in the early days of music streaming. I have such a huge connection to such a huge library of music and artists at my finger tips, that I am kind of still amazed this music service was able to pull this off at a time when everyone was screaming, and kicking, and some artists trying to rally against it. I do not need to hold the physical media that the music is on to appreciate music, never had the need to hold a vinly album or CD to appreciate music, one does not need to if they have two decent ears attached to their heads :). I just need an easy and affordable access way to the music I am interested in, and not a market place system that makes me jump through hoops to gain access to music I am interested in, or pay over inflated prices to gain access to music in the first place.

The making of music content available on available delivery service platforms, and the elimination of exclusive music deals will bring music consumers around to appreciating music even more through streaming. The service jumping game to gain access to music is what kills the appreciation of the music, and sours fans towards artists, as consumers feel used and manipulated, and they tend to end up avoiding those artists in the end who do such things. If premium movie channels can provide content of high quality and viewers can appreciate the work, music artists can do the same through media providing platform services as well. Just bring the exclusive music releasing game to an end, that would be a big step. The releasing of The Beatles content on all legal music streaming services was a big step in the right direction. End Exclusive Music Releases on all music streaming service platforms.

Well that is it for my foray into my youthful days best spent roaming a music store for hours on end, and some bit of my soap box babble for now.

cromoedge
Regular

I like the feeling of "real" albums and i always buy a physical copy of my favourites.

I think that Spotify and other media can help sharing and discovering new music and if someone finds something interesting then, maybe... he could buy a physical copy of that artist's work.

plus in my car there's no mp3 or such so... ahahah physical albums all the time

emilykaiser

I love going to record stores. There's some albums that just sound better on vinyl. And I love going and looking for older music that I like. I've found some of my favorite artists from the 70's and 80's just by looking through vinyls!

Highlighted

fduniho
Roadie

I used to enjoy going shopping for music at record stores, and I even worked in a record store for a while, but it went out of business, and I got on board with streaming. While I did enjoy building up my music collection, I kept needing to find more space for it as it grew. Thanks to streaming, I can now listen to a wide variety of new music without worrying about where I will store it all. The main drawback to not keeping physical media is that I can more easily forget about artists I've listened to. This is partly because my focus has shifted from selecting music to buy to listening to music that an algorithm has selected for me. But at least I have Last.fm to keep track of what I have listened to, and when I look back at the data, I can rediscover artists I've forgotten about.

oliviagscott12
Music Fan

ABSOLUTELY!!! It's honestly my favorite way to spend my time and money. There's just something about holding music, so magical. The fact you can hold an album that had a huge influence on you, or maybe even changed your life is mind blowing to me. This illusive thing you can only experience with your ears can also be a tangible thing you can experience in so many new ways. amazing. My most recent vinyl added to my collection was The Score by Fugees. It was a Christmas gift and I almost started crying I was so excited. Vinyl allows an even deeper connection to something already so special. Everything about music is pure magic to me. 

Lijomi
Composer

Yes, I often go to the record store. But only to see/buy the limited edition version of a record. For example the Daft Punk LP. They are worth buying for my collection. It's also a great way to support artists.

Daft punk LP limited edtion.jpg
SUGGESTED POSTS