Question(s) Of The Day: Do you prefer CD's or Vinyl or digital or cassettes or 8-tracks?

Highlighted

Question(s) Of The Day: Do you prefer CD's or Vinyl or digital or cassettes or 8-tracks?

ChristianReject
Roadie

I prefer CD's since they are cheap and smaller and easier to store. I like having a physical release but I have bought albums off of iTunes in the past. And I love listening to my iPod while I do cardio. I understand people going with digital but I found it to be very unfullfilling at times.

Vinyl are prettier to look at, but not full price pretty. I'll gladly take my .95 coaster over a $24 frisbee.

What about you? What do you prefer?

BONUS question: What's the weirdest/oddest song you've ever heard? Post it! If it's not on Spotify, post it from YouTube. I'm a sucker for weird, odd-ball songs.

HAPPY LISTENING AND REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU.

20 Replies

Re: Question(s) Of The Day: Do you prefer CD's or Vinyl or digital or cassettes or 8-tracks?

Taylor
Community Legend

Always will be a digital person myself - when I first started listening to music I was a CD person however Spotify became a "thing" very soon after, I started using it, and so now all my music is on Spotify and I have nothing physical whatsoever - plus I'm disorganised anyway so would probably lose all my CDs if I had physical media :P

Taylor

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Re: Question(s) Of The Day: Do you prefer CD's or Vinyl or digital or cassettes or 8-tracks?

seanb2294
Casual Listener

I prefer CDs as i like a physical copy, only ever use iTunes to buy apps or movies. Most of the CDs I have I put on iTunes anyway so for me no need to buy songs or albums, normally I will find an album or band on spotify, and if I enjoy it/them a lot I will go out and buy the album. 

Although my mate has a big vinyl collection and I can say there are a lot of bands that do sound better on vinyl, it has much more of a raw sound to it, but I do not have a vinyl player and if I had one I would probably start collecting vinyls. 

OviiiOne
Community Legend

I'll choose vinyl, I know that CDs are practical and that, but I like vintage things, and everybody say that vinyl have a better music quality, and my family has a lot of vinyl discs, mostly of Supertramp and Bruce Springsteen.

I can say that I grow up listening to vinyl and cassettes.

And I think that the vinyl is back in fashion, a lot of music groups sell their music in vinyl too (e.g. Coldplay, Imagine Dragons...).

sohopgal
Casual Listener

At home, when I'm relaxing absolutely vinyl... Out side just Spotify :-)

crematedman
Community Legend

@ChristianReject obviously my music is mostly on spotify, but, having a vinyl collection, i have to say i appreciate the classics too ^_^

this is one of my favourite weird songs XD

spotify:track:7gjBFrtO1dx5g5XHK3ONT7

comes from this playlist:

spotify:user:crematedman:playlist:0AjvlSLyUPOjXLZxk8qD5s

spiritofradio
Community Legend

I'm very happy with streaming. I dont own any other formats at the moment. I sold my CDs when i started on Itunes. My only grip is that I dont play my itunes files as much since using spotify because I tend to access Spotify and Sonos via my phone or tablet but my Itunes library is on my laptop which I dont use as much these days. When I was younger I bought cassettes rather than vinyl because I moved around alot and cassettes were more convenient to transport than vinyl. Ive never bought into the hype about vinyl being better than other formats.

Jazzwhatever
Community Legend

@ChristianReject Nice topic. There was a good blog post about this a while ago: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Collecting-Your-Music-Spotify-amp-Vinyl/ba-p...

It's always interesting to read how others collect their music. Before Spotify i was collecting cd's and vinyl. At some point i sold my funk&soul vinyl collection because it was getting too big and too expensive to keep on buying rare Soul Lp's. And i hardly play vinyl because you need a really good stereo set to hear the difference (between cd and LP). So i preferred cd's. When i started on Spotify i stopped buying cd's and lp's. 

Since a year i buy cd's and lp's again because i work in a thrift shop (2nd hand shop) and i'm sorting the lp's and cd's for the shop. So i got first choice. I have to dig up the good ones though from the big pile of James Last's and Mantonvani's :D

And i sometimes buy a digital album through Bandcamp so i know most money goes to the artist / label. I just see it as a way of supporting the artist directly.

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

BismuthBorealis

Generally Digital, CDs for some things (*cough* hitchikers guide *cough*)

(Bonus Answerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuO9xtNsRs0)

thesatellite
Regular

If youre the type of person whe prefers to own a physical copy of an album, why not get vinyl (go big or go home)? I spent my entire teengae years buying CD copies until my sister bought me my first ever collectable vinyl and i was hooked. My reason is simple and cliche: it has a different (better) sound.

SUGGESTED POSTS