Share your Stories and Memories about The Beatles

Highlighted

Share your Stories and Memories about The Beatles

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

July 1963, a contract is signed between Brian Epstein (The Beatles manager) and Bruno Coquatrix, owner of the mythical theater in Paris (France) : The Olympia. Unique fact in the Beatles career, this contrat was for a 3 weeks residence at The Olympia from January 16th to February 4th, 1964. By contract they had to play 2 shows per day with a 2 days break in the middle of the residence.

Having already some audience in U.K, they were almost unknown in France and as it was not sure they would fill the venue by themselves, they had to share the show with two other artists : Sylvie Vartan (young Fench pop singer) and Trini Lopez (at the top of his career at this time). Both artists had their names the same size and same time of show.

At the beginning, the Beatles were ending the first part of the show. The first 2 days, it was polite applause at the end of each song, but the crowd was totally quiet while they were playing. After 3 days, organizers had to change completly the order as the Beatles were stealing the show and the artists having to come after them were not feeling very well about that.

When I had the opportunity to go see the Beatles for an afternoon show (I was a very young teenager and not allowed to go at night), they were definately ending the whole show with a crowd clapping hands and standing up to dance while they were singing. Their conquest of France was accomplished.

During their stay in Paris, they got the news that the song "I Want To Hold Your Hand" reached #1 in USA. They were ready to conquier the world. :)

beatles-olympia-1964.jpg

As far as I remember, they had a small show around 20 minutes long. Here is what they played :

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
4 Replies

Re: Share your Stories and Memories about The Beatles

user-removed
Not applicable

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

My second experience with The Beatles.

June 20, 1965 : The Beatles begin a European Tour in France. One year and a half after their first appearance in France, they come back as world stars. For the event, organizers have chosen a famous sports hall : Le Palais des Sports de Paris. They will give 2 shows (3pm and 9pm), each one gathering 6000 persons. The first part was featuring another legendary band of the British boom : The Yardbirds.

Even with one year more, I was still a very young teenager and I could only go to the 3pm show. This time, compared to the previous year, the crowd was totally involved into the show and every one was clapping hands, dancing and singing (or trying to sing) all the songs. I should even better say that everyone was "yelling" the songs as much it was such an incredible noisy atmosphere. In these conditions, We barely heard the Beatles sing but we could say : "I was there". 

The evening show was broadcated on a French radio. I remember being in my bedroom with one ear deeply stuck on my pocket radio to try to feel the same sensations I have had during the afternoon. That was such an exciting feeling to imagine to be a part of music history.

beatles-palais-des-sports-1965.jpg

I found this video, and even if the quality is not that great, it gives a good view of that day (curiously though, the mounting of the video don't follow the track listing)

The Beatles - Live At Paris 1965 par Shenanigans

In 1965 the show was around 30 minutes long and the track listing was the following :

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

pmgallegos-8
Casual Listener
I was a child of the sixties with 5 older brothers and sisters. My oldest brother graduated high school in 1963 and was pretty Leslie Gore until about 1964. My second oldest brother graduated in 67, both went to Vietnam. I remember we always watched Ed Sullivan. The first time the Beatles were on we were watching. I right away fell in love with John Lennon, my sister Leslie was Paul. Kerrin was all of them. We were still playing 45's then and my next door neighbors aunt bought every Beatles record there was. I grew up
loving them and all through my years, I have met new people in every decade that love their music....after all they were the greatest band of the sixties and geniuses in their solo careers. They gave me a love for music of all types and I have explored my passion. I have been waiting for years

pmgallegos-8
Casual Listener
Through many apps (Pandora, Muve,Deezer, etc) and we finally have them. Thank you Paul and Ringo....and to John and George, you will never be forgotten

SUGGESTED POSTS