Spotify Becoming A Record Label?

Highlighted

Spotify Becoming A Record Label?

user-removed
Not applicable

How do you guys feel about the partnership between Spotify and DistroKid? I know that current music labels probably don't like it obviously; however, do you think this means artist will create even better quality music?

2 Replies

Re: Spotify Becoming A Record Label?

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Um... I doubt Spotify would become a record label because of DistroKid.

It's true DistroKid is a preferred distributor, but that would mean other labels don't like distributors or independent artists (who would use DistroKid, CDbaby and similar platforms)? I'm kind of lost.

Artists have 2(.5) ways on getting music on Spotify:

1. they sign to a label and the label takes care of uploading their music on services

2. they choose a distributor who will take care of uploading their music  on services

2.5 Spotify has built this tool. (which is in beta)

Labels can be a little picky, or maybe the artist doesn't want to tie themselves with a label specifically. Distributors are very handy in this case. I doubt labels would be very mad at distributors, or Spotify. I don't really see any reasons.
If a label has found an interesting artist, they will very likely contact the artist.

But I am lost as in why labels would dislike this Spotify+distributor partnership. It's just for the sake of quality metadata, infringement protection and instant access to Spotify for Artists.

There's a FAQ on distributors too, it's an interesting read.

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: Spotify Becoming A Record Label?

user-removed
Not applicable

But, considering how popular Spotify is, considering the fact that.... (Well, the way I understand it was explained to me), with " Spotify For Artists," and DistroKid, Artists can upload their music for free, and not have to pay a fee.

Having said that artists are able to keep a higher percentage of their money. I'm thinking, if Spotify becoming more and more the prefered streaming service, artists won't need a label. Then indirectly Spotify would be functioning as if they were a label. Unless I'm still not understanding?

'cause right now, an artist can just upload to YouTube if they wanted to, and just accept monetizing. Don't see why someone would only upload to YouTube and only accept monetizing; but if you're desperate not to be controlled by a label, I can see artists doing that.

SUGGESTED POSTS