Spotify Playlists SUCK - Especially for HIP HOP

Highlighted

Spotify Playlists SUCK - Especially for HIP HOP

pysolomon
Casual Listener

Spotify:

Your playlists suck. I always take a peek at what songs are listed on the playlists for hip hop and it's always wack. Rich Homie Quan? Big Sean? Iggy? If this is the approach that's taken to playlists in general then I suppose the playlists for other genres are similarly oriented. Where're the classics? Rakim? Mos Def? AZ? Nas? Common? Kanye? Tupac? Big Pun? Biggie? Where's the best of the new school? Lupe? Kendrick? Vince Staples? Logic? Dizzy Wright? Flying Lotus? Cole? Ab-Soul?

Perhaps these playlists are just automated and put together via an algorithm. If that's the case, know that Apple and Tidal are going to eat you alive with their curated playlists. Please do something about this.

Spotify's Wack Ass Hip Hop Playlist.jpg
14 Replies

Re: Spotify Playlists SUCK - Especially for HIP HOP

CameronKalic
Roadie
Yea, it seems like curated playlists are the one edge services like Tidal and Apple Music have over Spotify. Most of the electronic playlists are so mainstream that it feels like you are listening to the local pop radio station. Your best bet would probably be to seek out playlists that people in the community with similar tastes in music as you have put together.
"A little goodwill goes a mighty long way." - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

pysolomon
Casual Listener

It's somewhat disheartening that these playlists are akin to pop radio. The music streaming revolution should liberate *real* music as an alternative to radio, not just push it to the periphery in the same way. True, I could just look up playlists, but my concern isn't so much for myself, but for people who actually follow these playlists and are getting introduced to hip hop, and think that this is the extent of the genre. I mean, come'on, the first three songs on there are by Rihanna, Quan, and Big Sean. That's just insulting....

Spotify should do what Apple is doing and partner with artists to curate playlists. And not just pop rappers, but the truly respected artists with stripes: Mos Def, Talib, Nas, etc. And then apply that approach to other genres and playlists.

CameronKalic
Roadie
Agree 100%
"A little goodwill goes a mighty long way." - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Nico
Community Legend

I know your feel ^^

this is why i just create my own playlists like this.

A mix of the new Hip-Hop like Kendrick Lamar and the Olschool like 2Pac, Mobb Deep and Method Man.

spotify:user:nico4techno:playlist:3NkYlyaeLgjFI5O1eZJaC5

pysolomon
Casual Listener

Word, that's a good point. Now that I consider it, it's probably best to leave the playlists to the community. Who knows how scrupulous any artists who've spent a long time in the industry are. If they were put at the helm of some playlist-curating operation, maybe they would cave to pushing certain songs or sounds according to their own motivations, leanings, and biases....which would be a good thing if they push *real* hip hop fire, but bad if they're paid to promote certain songs on their playlists like how celebrities are paid to post and place products on social media. Cool playlist btw!

Nico
Community Legend
your right.
Kudo for the truth

AliGunes
Roadie
You should follow me (aligunes7xrecs). I'm giving you a new hip hop playlist every week. Last week it was "Best of 1995", the week before "Deceased Rappers". A couple of weeks ago I posted the "Best of 1995 (so far)" . It contains new tracks from Supastition, Czarface, Apathy, Aesop Rock, L'Orange, Old English, Large Pro, Jonwayne, Cannibal Ox, Your Old Droog, Murs, The Purist, Joey Badass, Joe Kickass, Oddisee, Mr. Green, MC Eith, Ghostface and many others. 

Jazzwhatever
Community Legend

I have to disagree with you. When i click on genres & moods and go to hiphop i can choose from 30 different playlists. I'm from the Netherlands so maybe it differs from country to country what kind of playlists are presented. 

Actually i really like the playlist Woordenschat, with all the latest Dutch Hiphop. 

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

RollingMuse
Casual Listener

The human vs. computer debate will get settled somewhere in the middle. Humans and algorithms will collaborate, each doing what they do best. 

The algorithms will match fans to curators and match curators to artists.

The curators will make the kind of hip hop playlists you're talking about.

There will be more Mos Def, more Flying Lotus, less fake records, less rap caviar.

SUGGESTED POSTS