The Basics - How to categorize & format playlists - WHAT KEYWORDS WORK BEST!

The Basics - How to categorize & format playlists - WHAT KEYWORDS WORK BEST!

OnBeat
Roadie

I would greatly appreciate information on:

• How can I categorize my own playlists so they are easy to find / share with people who have the same taste in music??
  • How should I format the title / bagkground information of a playlist  
  • (How can I include information on keywords, genre, year, record label... etc. in my playlist??)
  • What sort of keywords do I need to include?

Maybe I am missing something - but I cannot seem to find information about the proper format for naming playlists. 

Converseley, If i were a person in seach of new, cool music, what is the proper way to go about finding the type of playlists I am looking for? 

Thank you kindly for the insight!

Erin

2 Replies

Re: The Basics - How to categorize & format playlists - WHAT KEYWORDS WORK BEST!

user-removed
Not applicable

That would all have to depend on how you build your playlists. Do you build best of track playlists or artist discography playlists? Some users save individual releases, single releases as playlists and organize them that way, some users build artist discography playlists and title them on the artist names. Most of my playlists are done this way to be easy searchable. For example I have Accept, The Accused, Ace Frehley, Aerosmith, Agnostic Front, Alice Cooper, ect that are all artist specific discography playlists. I am not a big fan of best of track playlists I have always listened to artists music in it's entirety and build my playlist accordingly and title them as the artist works they are built from.

Best of track type playlists are tougher as they can compose many artist, different eras, and different styles of music. You have to go with your own judgement with regards to these type of playlists. If you build playlists according to a music genre or a particular era of music collection, just simply title them that way with different Volume numbers to keep everything clear. Like Volume 1,2,3 of an 80's pop playlists would look like this title. Best of 80's Pop Music Volume 1 which would be easily searchable. Did this help? Have a look at my spotify profile in my signature to see what I mean with regards of how I title my playlists and look through a few of them and you see how I build mine, there really is no limits on how to do it. The cleaner more refined playlist title makes it always easily searchable.

Re: The Basics - How to categorize & format playlists - WHAT KEYWORDS WORK BEST!

OnBeat
Roadie

Jay!

Thank you for your thoughful response. This was very helpful - I've followed you on Spotify, although we seem to have different taste in music I like pretty much all of the same classic rock as you it's just that I went "ntz ntz"  when you went "metal". :)

-Erin

SUGGESTED POSTS