The Mixtape or the Playlist

The Mixtape or the Playlist

Rock Star 1
Rock Star 1

Do you think of your spotify playlist more like a radio station then a Mixtape? Spotify playlist can easily have up to 400 songs, very different from the traditional Mixtape of 15-20 songs. So do people prefer one over the other and do people think of them as the same thing?

JESquareRock Star 1
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
6 Replies

Re: The Mixtape or the Playlist

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Mostly radio for me! Most of my day to day playlists that I listen to frequently range from about 20-60 hours in length. I just put those on shuffle and add stuff to them all the time.

I also make some more specialized playlists based on different moods and genres. Some of them start out a little smaller, but it seems like I always end up building them up the same as I do with the bigger playlists. I just like having something I can shuffle and listen to for hours on end. I love variety.

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

Jazzwhatever
Community Legend

I like both lists. I like compact mix-tapes/playlists with killer tracks in them. And i like big playlists of 1000's of songs which i put on shuffle. And then pick out the best tracks.

What do you prefer Jason ?

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

user-removed
Not applicable

@JESquare

Hello:

I have always been a full album, and/or full artist discography listener of music. The only time I really get into individual tracks by various artists is if this is some sort of recording label sampler release and/or speciality artists compilation like for some sort of benefit or something, and/or a movie soundtrack type of thing that sets a mood of something I have seen previously in the past. So my playlists reflect how I have always listened to music. I mean what the good is say Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, or any modern great band if that full album by an artist only has just two or three great songs and the rest are junk? Bands had to be able to create full albums full of great music to be accessible to music listeners, now some artists can throw out 3 or 4 hit singles on a full release, and the overall album release on average is just sub par compared with the rest and music listeners today let this slide, oh sad days are coming if this becomes the industry standard. But that is just me, everything changes, and then the old folks kick the bucket, and things carry on their merry way. :)

Jazzwhatever
Community Legend

@user-removed I used to be a full album listener too, before i started using Spotify. I almost never listen to a full album again since then. When listening to new songs i click away after 5 seconds or after half of the song. Or if it's really good i keep listening to 2, 3 songs of an album. Then i see another new album; click, listen, skip. :) 

This is mostly the case when i'm at home. When i'm travelling, listening to music on my phone i have more patience because i'm listening offline. Maybe it's a sign of the times. There's milions of songs waiting for us, what should we choose? Sometimes i long for the time when i was enjoying a cd. Listening it from start to finish. 

Somehow i don't seem to have the patience for that anymore. Maybe this is the new way of listening to music ? 

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

wahoo650
Roadie

For me, it depends on what mood I'm in. I generally listen to my more radio station-like playlists (starred/genre playlists) when I just want to sit back and hear my favorites, while I prefer shorter, more mixtape-like playlists when they fit a certain situation that I'm in. 

@Jazzwhatever: Spotify actually did the opposite for me -- I started listening to full albums all the way through more after I started using Spotify. Before, I usually would only buy the songs that interested me from online radio due to the fact that I couldn't hear the rest of the songs from the albums that the songs were on (outside of 30 second previews) without paying for songs that I might not like, and the lack of record stores in my area that I could buy cheaper used CDs from didn't help either. After I got Spotify, I could hear the rest of the albums that these songs were based around and found that I could discover even more songs that I liked from the same album.

Rock Star 1
Rock Star 1

I like the shorter playlist. I've been making mixtapes, for along time and so I continue to do that with my playlist. I love the idea of creating a mix that just fits a mood or sound like a glove.  I also don't have a long attention span so I like having short playlist that are like small chunks of a sound I want to hear . I've tried to do long playlist, but I don't like listening on Shuffle, so I found myself listening to the same first tracks or skipping alot. So for me I treat it as a mixtape and not a radio. 

JESquareRock Star 1
SUGGESTED POSTS