The Ones That Got Away

The Ones That Got Away

Spotify
Spotify

Back in mid-November, I published a post in Music Chat called ‘The Annual Rundown’. This was a comprehensive list of my personal top 100 records of the year.

However, December still rolls on (at the time of writing) and amongst the baltic windswept journeys to and from my places of interest, I’ve discovered yet more glorious and tragic music. They’re filling the remaining time void before 2018 slits down as a bookmark on January the 1st.

So, here’s a quick last minute catch-up. Consider this a disclaimer: ones that slipped the net, and ones that were released since my original post, but all late but worthwhile discoveries.

Here’s 10 in no particular order…

Björk - 'Utopia'

spotify:album:0LcLPN3pPMWxXt4YSXZvSj:small

Late last month brought the triumphant return of Björk, the unofficial Queen of Iceland. This record was co-produced by Arca, who appeared himself in the original rundown with his self-titled second record.

Oxbow - 'Thin Black Duke'

spotify:album:1uZoVW3i1tMteI8AaqozR6:small

Think Shellac, fronted by Nick Cave, with an orchestra being conducted behind htem. That's what this record sprang to me in comparison; a very hard-hitting record.

Lee Gamble - 'Mnestic Pressure'

spotify:album:3iRLi0dUzfLbGUBJ97mi19:small

A cold and complex dive into the warped electronic sounds of one of Hyperdub's best signings. Find this right on the fringes of experimental dance music.

Bargou 08 - 'Targ'

spotify:album:0SzEc6qUcgXueNE33WlKUv:small

Near the Tunisian / Algerian border, one man has forged synthesis into his local folklore sound. Nidhal Yahyaoui is that man, making an interesting form of Arabic, North African folk-rock.

Colleen - 'A flame my love, a frequency'

spotify:album:4NTqrRWB6JQs8a4AUw1QEp:small

Dreamy experimental art pop, concocted from a plethora of lo-fi loops, samples, and strange instruments. France's Cécile Schott has crafted a beautiful record for late-night cycle rides in the city.

Mount Eerie - 'A Crow Looked At Me'

spotify:album:5p64XgvFREt1P6mC7Xl6XN:small

A beautiful testament to his late wife, Phil Elverum of The Microphones has used his solo moniker to create another delicate set of songs. Genuinely beautiful.

Bicep - 'Bicep'

spotify:album:4psDRFbIlUM1KUb1omccXo:small

Ninja Tune signees Bicep have released a dancefloor-pleasing debut this year. The Irish duo have taken the best of Chicago house, Detroit techno, and analog synthesis to develop a sound best suited to the underground late-night discos of post-millenium Europe.

Blessed - 'ii'

spotify:album:2bsY9Q08FnG0GfMaQJrH2h:small

I discovered Blessed here on the Community thanks to a fellow poster; the Canadian's EP listens like Ought or Krill, but with a math-rock peppering. Montreal's chucking out some damn decent bands right now...

Godflesh - 'Post Self'

spotify:album:4yLRI4kaOy4LhSPZ2sCVbE:small

More industrial bruising from Justin Broadrick, here. The angry and mechanised sound of Godflesh is always welcomed; 'Post Self' was another album that beat hard.

Bad Breeding - 'Divide'

spotify:album:0JO0GrlqAvBvoSWmYoYlsQ:small

The pure fury coming out of Stevenage is evident on Bad Breeding's second full-length. Only a year or less after the debut, the sheer anger is still seeping out of them by the bucketload. 

And that's (hopefully) it for catching up in 2017! Time to start looking toward 2018 and the wealth of new music that's expected. Playlists at the ready, people.

2 Replies

Re: The Ones That Got Away

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

Great complement to your first post :)

For now just my Top 100 songs is ready. So album will come soon.

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Re: The Ones That Got Away

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @Soundofus!

Thanks 🙂 Yes, I saw your recent roundup, too. Really nice list you have going, there.

Really glad to see that we agree on so many of the artists. I've recently got tickets to go and see Snapped Ankles next year, which I'm really excited about, as they're in my Top 10.

A fine list indeed, and so good to see you make a playlist for it, too.

SUGGESTED POSTS