Trap vs. Rap - Old vs. New - What's your opinion?

Trap vs. Rap - Old vs. New - What's your opinion?

aizikson
Regular

The recent rise of young stars like Lil Yachty and Lil Uzi Vert has brought a lot argument and division into the world of music.

The styles of these young artists, though they are loved by many, are also infurating to many Rap and Hip-Hop Heads all over.

The conflict between the two groups, as far as I can understand, is as follows: Some say artists like Yachty and Uzi do not deserve their fame because they lack talent and their music is "trash". Their music does not fall into Rap or Hip-Hop categories. Others love the unconventional sounds these new artists bring to the table, and argue that the genres of Hip-Hop and Rap are headed to new directions.

The debate continues and widens to include criticisms of other unconventional artists like Future and Young Thug.

Personally, I just think music is heading into many different directions and I love it! I very much enjoy the soulful and meaningful contributions that genius rappers like Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, and J Cole bring to the table. I appreciate their work for everything that it is. At the same time, I also love the "new head" styles of Yachty and Uzi, as well as the mumble styles of Future and Young Thug.

So many artists today are putting out unique and amazing tracks. Chance The Rapper, Drake, Fetty Wap, Logic, Rae Sremmurd; they all have something different to offer. I think, instead of arguing and fighting, it is our duty as artists, producers, listeners, and fans, to enjoy what is going on around us in its enteirety. I'm not saying you have to be a fan of everything, but you should discover the sounds you like and respect the preferences of others.

Throw in your two cents! What's your opinion?

7 Replies

Re: Trap vs. Rap - Old vs. New - What's your opinion?

user-removed
Not applicable

@aizikson

Ah, the petty group think from music genre listeners who argue for their favorite style of music listened to. The metal music scene and it's subgenres is notorious for this kind of thing, and many classic metal bands have gotten heat from one time or another from various sub genres like glam, pop, progressive, power, thrash, speed, death, and black metal.  Classic metal bands have gotten hit with some very ugly and rude flak from these hardcore group of listeners who insist on purity within these music styles, and this just overall ruins the enjoyment of music altogether. The punk and hardcore scenes are I think just a wee bit worse is this regard as well, with it's strict adherence in music style. I avoid things like this, I listen to what I listen to, and FTW and all it's naysayers.

crematedman
Community Legend

@aizikson I respect people's opinions and their right to enjoy whatever and innovate.

That said, I deeply respect rap history, it's wonderful live (I've seen ghostface killah, grandmaster flash, coolio, snoop dogg, run the jewels etc..

I have my own opinions, i.e.: 

• australian hip hop is almost entirely artless and vacuous
  • trap rap is the worst subgenre of rap in terms of artistic value and artist variation

ScrambleChicken
Roadie

aizikson
Regular

Thank you for your opinion!

I definitly agree that most trap does not have very much artistic value. I think that it's appeal is just about hype and getting people turnt really.

I do also greatly enjoy diving into rap history and looking at how certain events have shaped different artists and their sounds.

aizikson
Regular

Thank you for your opinion as well!

The connection you made to metal and it's other genre variations. You're comment points to the fact that this conflict between old vs. new is something present in music as a whole, rather than in a few genres. Similar debates were once held about Schostokovich and his "strange" new style compared to the rest of the classical world.

crematedman
Community Legend

@aizikson exactly! good point ^_^

user-removed
Not applicable

@aizikson

I guess I will just do it this way then to get my point across. The old saying from those who do not like rap either? "Rap is Crap"

SUGGESTED POSTS