Vampire Weekend album?

Vampire Weekend album?

doubleo
Casual Listener

Should we expect the new Vampire Weekend album on Spotify soon?

Generally - when a new album is released, how are we supposed to know whether there is just a delay in it being released on spotify, or whether Spotify has no plans to release it at all (in which case we can go and buy it elsewhere)?

thanks

34 Replies

Re: Vampire Weekend album?

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Spotify upload all music as soon as they get the tracks from the record labels, so most of the time it is just a waiting game for the record label to add the tracks! There is no way to know for sure what/when the content will be made available, but if you follow the band you should get a notification in the client to say when it is available. 

I just had a look in the Spotify catalogue through the metadata API and the album is not appearing anywhere yet (but it did only come out today I guess!). 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

doubleo
Casual Listener

Thanks for that Peter - I understand that Spotify have to wrangle with labels to get stuff released, but I just think as paying customers, we should be given information about what's happening.

I'd really like to listen to the new VW album, but I have no information to help me decide whether to go out and spend £10 on the CD. If it's definitely not going to be on Spotify for another month, I'd probably like to go and buy it, but if it's on Spotify in two days' time, I'll have wasted my cash.

It's also a bit annoying in this particular case because the band's previous albums are available. 

What I'd like to see is status information for every big new album that comes out - with a projected release date (even if vague).

JasonHibs1
Gig Goer

I couldn't agree more doubleo.

I have been checking Spotify on an hourly basis for the new VW album! I don't want to be doing the same next Monday, when the new Daft Punk record is released.

I think it would be a great idea to have a status or information page on new releases.

Cheers,

b_jud
Casual Listener

You can stream the album as one long track from the iTunes Store right now (at least in America)

JJWenzell
Casual Listener

Thanks for this topic.  I, too, have been checking over and over hoping for it to be uploaded in the What's New page.  I would love to know what the hold up is as well...

the_late_one

Here Here, as per other posts Id happily just go and buy it, but not if its then going to be on here a few hours later.

is there no way of finding this stuff out??

TMP
Casual Listener

I completely agree with this. If I'm paying for Premium, I expect to get new albums. Or, at the least, know when they'll be available. 

You can't stream it on itunes anymore, that was just for the week prior to the release. 

kenthurm

fwiw i am noticing a lot of today's new releases aren't showing up, even in Spotify's New Releases playlist.  and as mentioned by another poster, the What's New page hasn't been updated either, as it normally would.

Farfarfarfarfar
Casual Listener

For those of you that are familiar with reddit - they did an IAmA today, and someone asked the very same question. They answered:

@Vampire-weekend wrote:

i'm down with spotify. i don't know all the financial details but generally it's a great resource. i should probably "do some research." our label decided to wait a couple weeks before putting MVOTC up there. struck as reasonable.

So I guess we have to wait a couple of weeks.

EDIT: And for those of you interested in checking out their answers to a bunch of questions, here's the link to the IAmA

SUGGESTED POSTS